Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is 10 months now. I always thought that I would stop BF at 12 months but now that we get closer I realize it wil not be the right time for me.
I also am starting to feel pressure rom my Husband, family, & friends
They all knew my plans & now they seem weird about the fact that I want to continue.

I have explained that DS does not seem ready
He has been teething since he was 6 months old, which was when we started solids, due to this he never really toook to solids.
It seems crazy to expect him to just stop because the calendar says it is time.
I know I don't have to convince you all.
I guess I just need to know there are others who support this

I am so suprised that my friends & family think of it as anything other than me trying to do what s best for DS.

How did you deal with others doubting your choice?

What if your husband was not onboard? How would that of effected your choice?

THANKS LADIES

·
Registered
364 Posts
My baby will be 1 yr in 6 days and my family is pushing me to wean soon.
I've BFed 3 children 2 for 4 mths but this is the longest I've nursed.I have no plans to wean Anna and no matter how much DH or my family hints around to it it's not going to happen.
Whenever I get questioned about it I tell them the benefits of nursing past a yr, what the WHO and AAP reccomends and leave it at that.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Assuming you want to continue (which is sounds like you do), I suggest you make it a non-issue with family and friends.

Practice saying the following:
"Thank you for your interest. Things are working well for us now. We'll let you know if we need any assistance from you."

And then refuse to discuss it with them. Other than your dh, it is your business, your choice.

With dh, you can point to the who guidelines. You can also point to the research which shows that YOUR personal risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer decreases with every year you nurse.

if he keeps pressuring you, make him prove to YOU why you should stop. And "it makes me feel weird" isn't really an argument.

Obviously, you know your relationship with your dh best. With my dh, he really expected that we'd wean at 1 year - but when we hit that mark, he realized that ds1 was still a baby and that ds LOVED nursing sooooo much, it would be massively traumatic for him. I didn't need to convince him at all - it was obviously the best choice for us.

Good luck!!!

Siobhan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by siobhang
With dh, you can point to the who guidelines. You can also point to the research which shows that YOUR personal risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer decreases with every year you nurse.

if he keeps pressuring you, make him prove to YOU why you should stop. And "it makes me feel weird" isn't really an argument.
That's so good! This is the second time I've heard about turning it around and making someone prove their stance to you. I love it.

I don't deal with the issue with family. My mom thinks nursing past 6m is strange, past 1yr is kinda approaching gross, and the closer to 2yrs you get the more it's just "for the mother".
: I simply relay the AAP and WHO statements and leave them to their own ignorance after that. If my DH wasn't as commited as I am, I'd leave him in the same boat as my mom. The bottom line is to do what's in the best interest of the child, no matter what DH or relatives or strangers think.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I have both the WHO's recommendations and the AAP's recommendations already printed out and will show to those who think I shouldn't breastfeed past a year. The AAP's article even points out there is no emotional detriment to a child.

I already get the bs and ds is only 6 mo old. "Well when he starts to ask for it you should wean him." "Well when he's able to walk up to you, you should wean him." "You're supposed to start cow's milk at 1 year." Ugh.

Thankfully dh realizes that in many things I know best for ds and he is supportive of us doing child-led weaning, especially where it can help prevent a too-early pregnancy. And he respects the Bible, so I was able to use the example of how Isaac was weaned at around 5 years.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I stress to people that 1yr is the BARE MINIMUM.

The whole "when they're old enough to ask for it..." really bugs me.
Um, my baby was able to tell me that she needed to eat from day 1.

Another thing that seems to open some people's eyes is the average weaning age worldwide. Somewhere around 3.5yrs, I believe.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
What siobhang said. Honestly, only once did anyone (my MIL) venture to say a thing about EN, and my husband just told her Bobbie would be weaning on her own terms, and that was that. I guess I don't send out "Talk to me about breastfeeding" vibes, or something.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I EP for my dd. I have about 5 months of frozen milk stored for her. (It will last 5 months if she continutes taking around 35 oz a day) She is 9 months. My mom and dh keep asking me how long I am going to pump for. DH wants me to return to work part time (I would not get pump breaks) and my mother does not like me having to excuse myself to pump when she has something planned. DDdoes not really eat solids. Only a bite here and there. So if I stopped pumping at a year, what would I feed her when I ran out of frozen milk? She can not live on cow milk alone, and I would not want to start her on formula at that point. She is growing well, and I feel she needs the milk since she does not eat food. I understand your feelings. You feel your baby needs the milk, and others want you to stop. It sucks, I know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts