Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I still can't shake this stupid cough, I'm ending Week Two of being sick. I try not to cough too hard but I can't really help it, and I feel like every time I cough, my abdominal muscle is ripping in two! It is so incredibly painful and it's centralized in one spot, under my ribcage on the right. I sneezed a few minutes ago and it felt like I was being driven through with a sword. Is there anything I can do about this aside from continuing to (attempt to) stop the cough?</p>

·
Registered
220 Posts
<p>my mw told me the the bukliess was find to take</p>
<p>you do not want to go in fake labor becuse of it</p>
<p>HUGS HUGS</p>

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
<p>:hugs  I just got over a cold very similar to yours.  By the third week, I gave in and took Sudafed with psuedoephedrine, and guaifenesin- it really helped with the coughing and sinus pain.  My abs hurt so bad and I know that I have abdominal minor separation due to all of the coughing.  I don't really know what you can do for it other than stopping the coughing.</p>

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Thanks you two. I ended up having DH call the on-call doc this morning to make an appointment for both me and my 20mo old, who sounded a little croup-y last night. I have been sick for two weeks so he prescribed an antibiotic and told me to drink hot honey tea (which I am) and use a neti pot (which I do). He also okayed Benadryl to help me sleep. When we got home I took my abx and a benedryl and slept for five blissful hours, but woke up with a fever of 100'F. You can't take ibuprofen in the third trimester and I'm allergic to aceteminophen, so I hope my fever won't get any higher. My BIL is a doctor and he told me that if it starts to get bad, I can take a benadryl and then take Tylenol in hopes that the benadryl will knock out the allergy for me, but warned that I might have to call the ER if I start to see symptoms of an allergic reaction, so he recommended against that. Sigh. DH is sick too but he's not as bad as me, so he's taking good care of me, thank goodness.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>One cool thing, though: the doctor I saw today asked who my OB was and I told him I see a midwife. He was instantly intrigued and asked if she does home delivery. When I said yes he nodded approvingly and said "Very good, that's nice to hear." That was unexpected from that practice, I haven't had a lot of positive statements about homebirth from other doctors there.</p>

·
Registered
345 Posts
<p>Crashing from the April DDC- I saw your "death by coughing" title and came to commiserate.  I have been sick for the last three weeks: a bad cold, then a stomach flu, and now post nasal drip with an extremely painful cough.  It's so bad I haven't been able to sleep, much less lay down! My pain is centered right under my breast bone. When I have a really bad spell, I feel like every sphincter in my body is going to burst. It's gross.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I saw my midwives at a routine visit on Wednesday and it wasn't so bad yet, so they recommended the whole neti pot/honey/tea routine. It got worse and I called last night in tears resulting in a late night trip for robitussin DM and benadryl for sleep. Well, no better today so I went to urgent care and....dundunDUN, it's allergies. My lungs, throat, ears, temp, etc... are all fine, but the Nurse Practitioner took one peek in my nose and said ALLERGY NOSE. She was kind of funny. Apparently it's mold and ragweed season here in the mid-Atlantic.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So I'm still doing neti/honey/tea, but with Nasalcrom (which is a category B OTC spray), Claritin, and Tylenol for the pain. She said the Nasalcrom works faster than Flonase (which I've taken before) and after just two applications, I can feel my nose drying up a little.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So not the same cause, but I know how you feel. And I hope you feel better soon!</p>

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>Thanks LaurenAnanas - misery loves company :)<br><br>
I hope you feel better soon too. There should be a law against being sick while pregnant, it's wretched!</p>

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
<p>Same thing here the past couple weeks. I picked up a cold last month and I think I'm just now getting rid of the last of it. The coughing got to the point it hurt so bad. I was ready for my water to break just from coughing so much.</p>

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
<p>I had a nasty cough a while ago that caused incredible pain, but lower in my abdomen. I found that leaning forward when I coughed (in a sitting position) helped ease the pain. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am not posting this to scare you, but there is evidence that using tylenol when pregnant, <a href="http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100204144543.htm" target="_blank">increases the risk</a> for the child developing asthma later in life. I do not know how well known this is, and whether it is factored into the risk benefit of whether to take the drug or not. Obviously being horridly sick is not fun.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hope you are feeling better soon and can kick the cough.</p>
<p> </p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts