Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ok? what do you think? am i just being way too paranoid by denying myself? i so want to buy a bag of decaf beans, but i'm so paranoid that the wee bit of caffeine in them will make bad things go down in the uterus
i've been craving coffee SO badly!! so what do you think?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
1. Regular caffeinated coffee is perfectly safe in small quantities. Women have used it for thousands of years. There is evidence that it can actually relieve some pregnancy symptoms, as it helps relieve bloating, prevents and treats headaches, and prevents blood clots. So enjoy a cup a day. (All the studies that show caffeine may lead to problems were conducted where the mother ingested the equivalent of nine cups a day.)

2. If you buy decaf, make sure it is NATURALLY decaffeinated. Regular decaf, say Folger's, is decaffeinated by soaking the coffee beans in chemicals to leach out the caffeine. Natural decaffeinating uses a process with water, and you can get it at the health food store.

My first pregnancy, I only drank decaf, and struggled with headaches and water retention that was very painful. My second pregnancy (and this pregnancy) I consumed moderate quantities of caffeine and had almost no swelling at all (at 39 weeks, I could still fit my hand around my ankle), and felt much better.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
In moderation and small amounts, the real stuff is fine. The effects of withdrawl on my body and the measures I took to help relieve them (OTC headache meds from time to time when I thought I would die) are worse than a cup of real coffee in the morning.

I second being cautious if you go the decaf route about the method by which it's decaffinated. You get what you pay for there. I am pretty sure the starbucks brand is done the right way, you can get it at grocery stores and super walmart and target.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your input, everyone
this is my first pregnancy, so i am just very paranoid. i'm sure you all understand!

i'm way too big a food snob to even do starbucks, so it'll definitely be the good stuff. thanks for making me feel better about it!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsTC
In moderation and small amounts, the real stuff is fine. The effects of withdrawl on my body and the measures I took to help relieve them (OTC headache meds from time to time when I thought I would die) are worse than a cup of real coffee in the morning.

I second being cautious if you go the decaf route about the method by which it's decaffinated. You get what you pay for there. I am pretty sure the starbucks brand is done the right way, you can get it at grocery stores and super walmart and target.
But I've also heard that Starbuck decaf is equivalent to regular in other brands (and that a cup of Starbucks regular has the caffiene equivalent to 3 cups of other brands). Not that it's unsafe, but I've always wondered if it's true. Starbucks makes me jittery, but other brands don't ( I drink Cafe Bustelo at home, decaf since my first pg)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffe...omment-page-5/

Here's a "caffeine database," looks like a tall Starbucks decaf has more caffeine than homebrew decaf, but not nearly as much as regular coffee. About 10 mg. The same as 1/3 of a coke.
Starbucks reg. coffee definitely does have more caffeine than home-brewed coffee, and add to that that it's served in 12 to 20 ounce containers, whereas a home cup of coffee might be 5-8 ounces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.