Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ladies! I guess I'll start the weekly thread.

I met my newborn neice last night for the first time. She greeted me by peeing on me. Can't wait to tease her about that in 15 years or so. She's two weeks old today. And I got to change my first diaper in 16 years. DH held her too, might have been the first time he had held a baby. So he put in a good 45 seconds of holding her before freaking out and handing her back. We're talking baby steps...

My SIL is a doctor and had a very medicalized birth. My MIL asked me if we were having Owen circumsized. I said no. She was kind of cirtical of this (myabe she felt attacked or something because her sons are) and SIL stepped in a totally backed me up. It was great and kind of unexpected. SIL launched into the whole spiel about there being no medical reason for it, blah, blah, balh. I could have kissed her.

Anyone starting any birth classes? We're doing a one day thing, but I'm thinking I might take something else.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
We haven't brought up the subject of circumcision with my ILs yet...I think DH was hoping we'd have a girl just so he wouldn't have to talk about it. I'm personally guessing that it won't be as big a deal to them as he thinks it might be, but....we just don't know. Luckily my mother brought it up a while ago with me, and I found out that none of the men in my family were circumcised, so there's a discussion we don't have to have.

I think we're just not going to bring it up with the ILs, and they're the kind of people who might not bring it up either. We'll just let them be surprised at the first diaper change.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I am so lucky that my parents and my ILs BOTH feel strongly that circumcision is wrong! I think they would've been very upset if we had circ'ed our boys. None of our sibs (or DH) are circ'ed. Most of my cousins aren't either.

I'm not doing birth classes, since this is my 3rd birth. I am doing a prenatal yoga class though and I love it!! I've been practicing yoga at home for a couple of years, but have been lazy about it lately. The classes are really motivating me to get back into my practice.

You know something cool that I realized the other day? I have a huge family - 31 first cousins - I'm the oldest of all of them. ALL 31 of them were breastfed!! At least half of them for more than a year! The longest that any of them nursed was 4 1/2 years, but I think my DS might be preparing to challenge that record.
The only person in my family who is 30 or under who wasn't breastfed is my cousin's 6yo, and she tried to get him to latch properly for months before she gave up.
I love my family!!

Now, DH's side is the opposite, unfortunately. Almost no one in his family breastfeeds.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
We just took another series of Bradley classes as part of my instructor training requirements. I've also taught two series of classes recently. I'm not planning to take/teach any more until the baby comes, as we have a lot of packing and moving and packing and moving again to do.

If we had boys, we wouldn't circumcise. But we have girls, so it's not an issue that comes up. I think if we do ever have a boy, I won't even discuss this issue with the parents and in-laws. Then, when they change his diaper for the first time, they can be surprised.

Our families already think we're so weird for cloth diapering, extended breastfeeding, eating organically, recycling everything...I think I've ceased to shock them. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cholderby
My SIL is a doctor and had a very medicalized birth. My MIL asked me if we were having Owen circumsized. I said no. She was kind of cirtical of this (myabe she felt attacked or something because her sons are) and SIL stepped in a totally backed me up. It was great and kind of unexpected. SIL launched into the whole spiel about there being no medical reason for it, blah, blah, balh. I could have kissed her.

That is great, at least you know your little boy will not be the only one in the family- or if your DB and SIL dont have a boy at least they will support that idea! That is wonderful!

My MIL had that "So, your saying I didnt do good enought with my boys" attitude with DH and I when DD was born and we preached about cloth, BFing, co-sleeping, not vaxing and not cricing if we have a boy. After a while the clamed down. But DH had to be very firm with her, that it is not that she did it wrong, it is that WE do it different and there is more studies out now days than nearly 30 years ago when she had her sons. We hit a real wall with the IL's on BFing. O'man that one was a hard one. DH had to take his mom in another room and "tell her off" when she made me cry a few days post part. And I think she was VERY uncomfy with me BFing in front of FIL and BIL, but I really could give a rats ass about how she feels about me taking my boob out to feed my kid! She did get better
There is hope yet!

We are not taking any classes, we didnt with Rainey either, but I am a certified doula and have taken studies upon myself and I am sure I know more than I could learn in a class, and I am sure I would just get pissed off at the teacher for saying something I dont agree with- so it is better for everyone if I just stay way! lol....

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yay for your sil, its so nice to have an ally in the family. I EN ds (weaned him this fall at 32 months) and my sis was great at getting people to curtail their anti-EN comments. I'm getting ready for my beach vacation assuming the weather cooperates a bit more. We're getting freezing rain right now. I want to go run a bunch of errands but am paranoid about falling. Anyone else worry about falling?

Crayon, I used to gently tell my Mom she made the best decisions she could with the knowledge of the time and that she needed to trust me to do the same. Seemed to work or at least kept her quiet.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have not updated in quite awhile. My dd (with cerebral palsy) has been having major sleep issues...she was sleeping a max of 5 hours a night, mostly with me holding her upright. Anyway, we upped her sedative and decreased one of her seizure meds and she is doing much better. As am I. Sleep deprivation seems to give me major BH contractions!

We are not going to circumcise. It was not an issue with dd of course, but while we were in the NICU with her, we saw at least 5 baby boys taken off and then recovering from circ. These poor babies were just wailing in agony for HOURS after the procedure. After seeing my dd go through so much pain in her little life, I could never inflict pain on any of my children. Anyway, my family supports this decision 100%, even dh who is a doc and is circumcised.

I am freaking out about trying to make arrangements for my dd after the new bambino arrives. How can I go 4-6 weeks without picking her up (she does not sit, walk or stand)? Has anyone here had a c-section and then slung/carried the newborn? How long did you have to wait to babywear comfortably? Since my dd was on a vent for 2 weeks, I was well healed before I could even hold her for the first time. TIA for the info!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Susan, I'm glad your daughter is sleeping better. I know that lack of sleep can make all those difficulties of pregnancy become much worse!

In terms of babywearing, I'm positive you could try it from day 1. Newborns are so light that a good quality sling should distribute the weight so he feels like nothing! I see you're in Chicago--have you tried a fleece pouch? We love the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch (http://www.kangarookorner.com). My husband and I are 6'1" and 5'2", and we can wear the same sling. Fleece is so comfy, and distributes the weight very well. I still can wear my two-year-old in it, though my belly gets in the way.

Another option is a wrap sling, which will distribute the baby's weight over both of your shoulders and your back. Or the MamaBaby sling system, which is two stretchy slings. The MamaBabies would keep all the weight off of your belly, and can lift a newborn very high on your chest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts