Mothering Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Christmas eve here- As can be expected weather in the american desert is unpredictable and today is 60, cloudy and steady rain. Beautiful if you ask me. (remind me of this post in July when its 120 and humid please)

Last night kiddo and I were in the kitchen. Chocolate chip cookies, cheese ball and a few other things got made. So now we have snacks and treats for the next couple days. I am working on kiddo blanket for tomorrow. I WILL GET THIS DONE. My spot is reserved on the couch and yarn is my main focus for the day.

Warm drinks from the Keurig today, possibly a fire log tonight. Lots of movies and hanging out in jammies for the weekend.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas! and enjoys the holiday season!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I finished the blanket at 530pm xmas eve!! go me
Good work! About ten years ago I finished knitting a sweater at 5:30 a.m. on xmas morning. It was a nasty final stretch. Since that year I've always made sure I finish knitted stuff well ahead of time. Happy to say the sweater is still worn and appreciated at least. :Sheepish

Miranda

·
Registered
317 Posts
Feeling an urge to start off the New Year more organized. I'm attacking the pantry today. Kiddos will probably be left to surf the web, watching shows and playing games. My 8 year old decided last night that he really wanted to see what it was like to stay up late last night (he made it to just past 11) so he's moving slow today anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays! I finished the blanket at 530pm xmas eve!! go me
Yay! My version of procrastination is that I have not even actually mailed my gifts to my dad and stepmom yet. Perhaps they'll be mid-January gifts.

Kids have been playing with our best-friend-family that's back in town for the holidays, and gearing up for my daugther's New Year's Eve sleepover birthday party tomorrow (her birthday is New Year's Day). It's been alternately lovely and stormy, and I wish that I wasn't still gimpy from this darn sprained ankle! The ground is all uneven snow, and I can't really walk anywhere but the roads. Kids' favorite presents so far are a geeky board game about gut microbes, a DNA model, a kids' cookbook, and some Elephant and Piggie stories. And they've been watching a ridiculous # of Ted Ed videos.

My daughter has been taking off with her reading, and I think is now passing up her 2-yrs-older brother. He has been practicing, but still finds it so hard and frustrating. I'm starting to think he might have some of the dyslexia that runs in his dad's family.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's cold and snowy and sunny and beautiful, and I have a sprained ankle. :( Did a great ski day with half the kids in town yesterday, and was totally fine with the skiing part, planning an actual backcountry adult ski outing for today, which would have been my first for the year. Then, walking across a flat lake in loosened up ski boots, a playing dog rammed me at full speed in the back of the leg. Didn't see it coming at all, and I fell and totally wrenched my ankle. So, instead, kids are out with my husband, and I am feeling useless and sorry for myself and making applesauce.

Katmai made a video about all the hormones he built the other day, painstakingly editing out every pause or "um" in his speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_9dA2NF2R4
Great video! What are those things he is using and where did he learn all that?

Also - who edited the video?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Great video! What are those things he is using and where did he learn all that?

Also - who edited the video?
He's using molecular model kits. "Molymod" brand. They're generally sold to college chem students, which I think is a travesty -- they've been his favorite toy for years. He learned most of what he knows from various YouTube science channels, google image searches, a dynamic periodic table website, and some other chemistry websites, plus some google searches and books read out loud by me. He's been studying chemistry since 5yo and is almost 8 now.. He edited it in iMovie. I just showed him a few basic tools in the program.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, that is amazing. Would you be willing to list some of the specific videos and websites you used? His ability to identify and explain every molecule is really impressive. I would like to learn this stuff myself. Maybe dd will use them too :lol

What size set of molymod do you recommend?

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Love molymod stuff... we have a bunch too. However, if I was starting now and if I could afford to I would go with Snatoms. The magnetic attraction better implies the release of energy with bonding, and the bonds are so much more flexible.

Miranda

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmm, so has anyone tried both the molymod and the snatom set and can speak to the pros and cons of each? I saw the video by the guy who made the snatoms so I know his views on the matte.r

Also there seem to be some very cheap imitations of molymod - has anyone tried those?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Hmm, so has anyone tried both the molymod and the snatom set and can speak to the pros and cons of each? I saw the video by the guy who made the snatoms so I know his views on the matte.r

Also there seem to be some very cheap imitations of molymod - has anyone tried those?
Can't speak to snatoms, because I haven't tried them, but at a quick look, they wouldn't meet my son's needs. Way too expensive for a small number of atoms, and not nearly enough diversity in atoms. You need things like 6-bonding sulfur even for making sulfuric acid. And he likes having all the metals, and boron, and 5 bonding bromine, etc... He loves making large and complex molecules, and wants to make the odd ones too. I do agree it's a better representation of needing energy to break bonds, but I don't think a better analogy would outweigh price and versatility. I think he understands bonds pretty well in any case.

As to the knockoffs -- I think probably half of what we have is molymod knockoffs. In my experience, everything that says it's Molymod compatible pretty much is -- even the stuff that comes from China on eBay. Much more affordable for a large number.

Best two places to start for chem knowledge, according to my son: Periodic Table of Videos and the Dynamic Periodic table. The videos are for every element, lots of molecules and other things. The dynamic periodic table lets you explore a lot, but his favorite is "compounds" setting, where you can click on various elements or type in a formula, then click to wikipedia pages for the resulting molecule if it exists. He also learned about hormones and such from the Crash Course Anatomy and Physiology videos

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can't speak to snatoms, because I haven't tried them, but at a quick look, they wouldn't meet my son's needs. Way too expensive for a small number of atoms, and not nearly enough diversity in atoms. You need things like 6-bonding sulfur even for making sulfuric acid. And he likes having all the metals, and boron, and 5 bonding bromine, etc... He loves making large and complex molecules, and wants to make the odd ones too. I do agree it's a better representation of needing energy to break bonds, but I don't think a better analogy would outweigh price and versatility. I think he understands bonds pretty well in any case.

As to the knockoffs -- I think probably half of what we have is molymod knockoffs. In my experience, everything that says it's Molymod compatible pretty much is -- even the stuff that comes from China on eBay. Much more affordable for a large number.

Best two places to start for chem knowledge, according to my son: Periodic Table of Videos and the Dynamic Periodic table. The videos are for every element, lots of molecules and other things. The dynamic periodic table lets you explore a lot, but his favorite is "compounds" setting, where you can click on various elements or type in a formula, then click to wikipedia pages for the resulting molecule if it exists. He also learned about hormones and such from the Crash Course Anatomy and Physiology videos
Wow, that is good to know. Can you comment on this?

or this?

Are they similar to what you have used? Also, what quantity do you recommend?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I checked with DS18, who has used both Molymod and Snatoms. He feels that although Snatoms (and their inventor, Derek of Veritasium fame) are very cool, at the moment Snatoms has limitations (eg: can't make nitrate, phosphate, sulphate). Until Snatoms come out with more complex pieces, he'd go for the Molymod.

Great to hear about other unschooled chemistry enthusiasts! DS fell in love with chemistry at age seven. A self-directed unschooler all his life, he made the jump to university this fall as a chemistry major, a transition that has gone incredibly well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, everyone. Just need your help. Can anyone tell me what video editor can I download for my children both 10 years old, for just creating simple videos for school projects and so on.
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, everyone. Just need your help. Can anyone tell me what video editor can I download for my children both 10 years old, for just creating simple videos for school projects and so on.
Thank you in advance!
I have somehow missed your question...

Try movavi or an online video editor I use it for already 4 years and I'm not gonna switch to anything else because it's an all-in-one video maker: an editor, converter, screen recorder, slideshow maker... And it's perfect for remote work, distance learning, kids that are just learning how to edit a clip. See the link I added https://www.movavi.com/suite/.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts