Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cold and I'm a miserable sick person. I really want to go get some decongestants. I will be a much happier person if I can breathe again and don't have to blow my nose every thirty seconds.<br><br>
My nursling is 28 months old. I know that decongestants can reduce my supply, but it is temporary, right? I'm assuming my supply will pick right back up as the drugs wear off. Is that correct? I don't want to sabotage breastfeeding because of a cold, but if it isn't a big deal at this point, I'd like to be a bit more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have taken Sudafed while nursing if I was really miserable. Since your nursling is older, I would be very surprised if it caused you a problem, especially if you have ample supply. Heck, plenty of 2 yos nurse through mom's pregnancy even if there's no milk. Ask me how I know LOL.<br><br>
I can't say for sure YOU won't have a problem, but I can say that a single dose here and there has always been OK for me.<br><br>
Hope your feeling better!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I took a store-brand version of dayquil for 3 days when I had a cold a couple weeks ago and noticed no drop in supply. My little one is 6 months old.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, ladies! I decided to go ahead and take some decongestants and I'm feeling much more human now. I do think my supply might be down a little, but not too much as I'm still leaking. My son did comment (on his own) that there was "no milk", but I was able to easily express some so I'm not too concerned, especially at his age.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts