Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 19w and have been taking antibiotics for 5 days now for a bad sinus and ear infection. I don't recall ever having either in my life however I do get allergies.

Dr. also gave me Bendadryl to take. I stopped taking it after 4 days because I'm not sure it did much other than dry me up. I want my sinuses to drain. It's mainly my maxillary sinus (the one near the cheek) and it's causing a lot of eye, teeth and ear pain and affecting my balance. I can't even drive cause of it. I actually spent 4 days in bed cause of the pain and cause the Bendadryl and Tylenol 3s knocked me out. It seems to improved a bit but I'm still needing to pop plain Tylenol every 4 hours which really bugs me. I hate taking painkillers.

I'm having steam showers and steaming my face over eucalyptus oil too - helps a little.

I'm prepared to take a decongestant if it works and is relatively safe. Dr. said I could take sudafed if I really needed but I don't think it's any better than Bendadryl.

Anyone know if Mucinex (Guaifensesin) is safe during pregnancy? An OB nurse I called didn't even know what it was. I can't find any info and my eyes are too bad to do an internet search. The Dr I went to was in the ER and the ER isn't much help when you're pregnant.

Anyone used anything else that worked? I'm desperate right now.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Be careful... i was using euclayptus too until i found out that it can cause you to have contractions. i don't know how much will do it. i was using tylenol sinus and showers to steam me up. might also want to try using a neti pot (nasal irrigation). ask at a local health food store about that.

hope you find some relief!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts