Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
x-posted in Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy<br>
++++++++++++++++<br><br>
I am posting a question for a friend who is BFing her toddler (and having internet connection issues).<br><br>
Here's the question:<br>
"I'm wondering about the safety of taking DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) while breastfeeding. I've seen warnings not to take regular licorice while BF, but wonder if the answer is different with DGL.<br><br>
Anyone know sources of info?<br><br>
I'm having a reflux flare and possibly an ulcer and wanted to know both the herbal and conventional therapies before I decide on a course of action."<br><br>
TIA,<br>
C<br>
___________________________________<br>
SAHM to a spectacular little boy, born 5/2003 :bf Feb 2006!<br>
"When you teach your son, you teach your son's son." ~ The Talmud

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I don't know specifically for bfing. I know there are numerous warnings about reg licorice at any time. Some herb-friendly docs won't even let their patients take it without frequent monitoring of blood pressure because it can dramatically increase blood pressure. (I read up on it when I took it for extremely low bl pressure.) But I don't know of any dangers associated with taking DGL. I don't know how helpful that is, but I would imagine that it would be safe since the primary concern with reg licorice is blood pressure issues and DGL doesn't affect bl pressure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts