Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of those silly things that nags on my mind in the middle of the night when I can't sleep...

We have a dehumidifier in our basement. Every time the tub fills, I dump it out and wonder if I can do something else with it, like water house plants. On one hand, water is water, but I don't know if there's something about the process of pulling it from the air that somehow makes it have toxic gunk...

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I use ours for laundry - it helps that it's right next to the washer.

I think it would be fine for house plants too.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
A co-worker just informed me that he pours his dehumidifier water into his washing machine. He says that the water is soft and his clothes come out really soft.

I have been dumping my water into the sink for the past few years - in the summer the basin fills up in a day - 21 pints - so thats a lot of water.

I have thought of using it for my garden, but haven't got into the mode of emptying it into a mobile jug.

This morning I emptied the dehumidifier water into my washing machine....so I will see how that goes.

Funny thing about this post is I just posted about this on another message board! Some people thought that the water would be "gross" to re-use in a washing machine. My impression is that the water is soft and distilled and perfect to re-use in the washing machine, not to mention the dehumidifier is RIGHT beside the washer so it is convenient. The water basin that collects the water is clean and shows no signs of grime and the water itself is clear. And the water would be used for the first cycle of the washing and then rinsed with "tap" water.

I think it would be fine for house plants too.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
I wonder if the water would be okay to put into empty jugs to use in the winter time for the humidifier. The air gets really dry in our house in the winter and we always have a humidifier going. I hate buying the distilled water to use for it. Never thought of using the dehumidifier's water for that. Hmmmm....

·
Registered
244 Posts
My mom has alwasy used her dehumidifier water for her house plants. Don't think she ever used it in the garden, but that could have been because it was a longer distance away or required more water. Her house plants look great though!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I dump it in the garden closest to my basement door. The cilantro is growing nicely there.

My only question with saving the water is that there could be bacteria and mold spores living in the basin that could grow in the humidifier, or in the storage jugs. I wouldn't want to blow that all over my house. I think a more immediate use like the washer or plants might be a bit more cautious.

·
Registered
71 Posts
we use our dehumidfier water in our fish tank. and also water our animals with it. we have never had a problem with it. my only question is how in the world do you use it in your washer? I press the button to start my washer and it fills up with water is there a way to turn that off?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchymomof2girls
we use our dehumidfier water in our fish tank. and also water our animals with it. we have never had a problem with it. my only question is how in the world do you use it in your washer? I press the button to start my washer and it fills up with water is there a way to turn that off?
This is what I asked my co-worker too ... and I tried it this morning....The water stops filling up when it reaches "half-full", "3/4 full" "full" ... whatever you have it set at. So if you start the machine with some water already in it (I had 61 pints (3 buckets), which was about 1/4 filled before starting), the washer water will stop when it reaches the mark**; it doesnt measure the amount of water going in, it measures the amount that it fills. I started the washer as I usually do and the water stopped filling up when it reached the "3/4-full" marker.

**There is not a visible "marker" in the machine, but I could tell that it did not fill up MORE then usual.

Hope that makes sense?!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts