Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Politics as usual in Texas.

Quote:
A semi-retired judge who was called in to hear the dispute, C.W. Bud Duncan, ruled in Delay's favor without comment. Duncan ordered the appointment of a new judge to preside over the case

Quote:
DeLay had no comment as he left the courthouse. Throughout the proceedings, he sat in the front row behind his attorneys with his wife and aides. He often smiled, and occasionally chuckled when Democrats said negative things about him in their testimony.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/....ap/index.html

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/01/delay.indictment.ap/index.html
The ruling came after a hearing in which Delay's attorneys argued that state District Judge Bob Perkins' political donations created the appearance of bias. Perkins, a Democrat, has contributed to candidates such as John Kerry and the liberal advocacy group MoveOn.org.
I don't think it's a bad thing that a judge with obvious political leanings be replaced on sucha political case as this. I wouldn't want a judge who had donated to a neocon organization presiding over a Democratic Senator's trial, wither.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I can see your point I am not sure that it should really work that way. I mean if all the dems got left leaning judges if they went to court, and all the pubs got right leaning judges...or vice versa would that really work? It is my understanding that judges are impartial. And yes this judge did make contributions to move.on but only in support of Kerry last year.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I don't know as giving $200 or whatever it was to moveon.org makes one a staunch and radical lefty. To him, $200 is probably like $2 to me.

How deep do we dig? If the new judge gave $300 to the Bush campaign, can we get him/her off hte bench?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to see it wprks both ways!!

Quote:
Administrative Judge B.B. Schraub recused himself after District Attorney Ronnie Earle filed a motion asking for his removal from the case.

Quote:
Earle said in his motion filed Thursday that Schraub has made more than $5,000 in contributions to Republican candidates, including to Gov. Rick Perry, a DeLay ally, which calls into question Schraub's impartiality in the case.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051103/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Does anyone else ever cringe when they think of how news like this must look to the rest of the world?

Oh, hail, the United States, upholder of an impartial judiciary (ok, not really), champion of freedom of speech (ok, not really), believers in separation of church and state (ok, not really that either).

sigh

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
i really don't understand how this is happening. if i had to appear in court on criminal charges, would i get to review every political contribution my judge had made, and if i didn't like them, would i be able to demand a new judge?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama ganoush
i really don't understand how this is happening. if i had to appear in court on criminal charges, would i get to review every political contribution my judge had made, and if i didn't like them, would i be able to demand a new judge?
I don't know. How many congressmen do you have in your pocket?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Quote:

well, i used to live in dc and had quite a few congressmen try to get in my pants. does that count?
Probably not unless you are still stringing them along.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Quote:

No, but then you are not an enormously powerful reptilian alien.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I am so glad that the prosecutor is fighting "dirty" to in forcing the Republican judge to recuse himself. Hopefully the irony might sink in...

Personally, the biggest irony I see here is BushCo.'s insistance on innocence until guilt is proven. Why don't we give them the golden rule and send Libby to Gitmo? Lock him up indefinitely in solitary? Trash his religion? Send him to Eastern Europe to be tortured until he admits that he did wrong?

I hope all of America, and all the world, sees this. Our emporer is running around naked.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.