Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my youngest was born, we kept the cord intact for longer than we have with our previous children. It was about half an hour, since the midwife didn't arrive until about 20 mins after his birth, and we didn't cut right away after she arrived. The placenta was the smallest of my kids' -- closer to a tennis ball than a dinner plate. I'm guessing it has to do with the blood getting to the baby instead of staying in the placenta, but I'm not sure. Anyone else know if this is the case?

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
We have left the cord attached for 30minutes-2 hours with each of my homebirths and the placeta's were the size of a dinner plate.

Keri

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, well maybe that wasn't it then. I was getting something out of the freezer today and noticed the placenta, it's in a clear container, and it looked bigger than I remembered it from the birth... still probably not dinner plate-sized, but not as small as I thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.