Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>We've put our ds on an altered/delayed schedule, starting with the Dtap at 9 months. For Hib and Prevnar, I see there are guidelines in the package insert available at fda.gov or the cdc website, which detail how many shots your child will need if you start the series late. So, for example, since he will be receiving his first shot of Prevnar13 after age 7mo but before 1 yr, he needs one fewer shot to complete the series and reach "immunity." (And if we waited to start till he was 1 yr old, he'd need two fewer shots). For some reason, this information does not seem to be included in the package insert for Dtap shots . Can anyone tell me where to find this information? I have a feeling that he needs one fewer Dtap since we started at 9 months, but I'd like to see it in writing if possible.</p>
<p>Thank you! ~ Etty</p>

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
<p>He can get his first dose now, 2nd dose 4 weeks later, 3rd dose 4 weeks later, and 4th dose 6 months after the 3rd dose. If he has a 5th dose it must be at least 6 months after the 4th dose. I am reading this off my catch-up immunization schedule from the CDC website. You could also wait and give the 5th dose as a booster before school starts. HTH!</p>

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
<p>Also, if he receives his 4th dose after the age of 4, a 5th dose isn't needed.</p>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Thanks~ I ran across that info online too, but what I was looking for was whether, if starting the series at 9 months, he will need fewer shots to complete the series. I saw too that he can skip the 5th shot if the 4th shot comes at age 4 or older, but I was thinking there might be other guidelines -- like there are, for example, with the Hib shot: I think it's one fewer shot needed if you start after 7 months and 2 fewer shots needed if you start after 1 year -- But maybe Dtap is different...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Btw, is there a specific page on the CDC website about catch-up immunization schedules? If so and you know where to find it, could you post a link? Thank again!</p>

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
<p>Because he started at 9 months won't change how many he needs. It's all about that dose after the age of 4...</p>
<p>I use this:</p>
<p>htttp://<a href="http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/2010/10_catchup-schedule-pr.pdf" target="_blank">www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/2010/10_catchup-schedule-pr.pdf</a></p>

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
<p>the series is complete when the child receives 4 or 5 doses. Doesn't matter the age, but the number of doses. HTH!</p>

·
Registered
22 Posts
<p>From the Dr Sears book it says if u start the series (DTAP) between 6 months to a year u only need 3 of the 4-dose series.Than if u want to do the booster b4 school.And with HIB,PC you would need 3 doses if starting between six months and twelve months,2 doses if starting between twelve & 18 months, and only 1 dose if you dont get any until after 18 months</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts