Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>let me start with I am not a fan of doctors due to the many misdiagnosis and pill pushers amoungst other things and only use doctors as an absolute last resort.  So I thought I might ask some mommas on here what they think. My ds is 3years and 10 months old. He is a very bright and loving boy. But I have been worried for awhile now about his development. I was a preschool teacher for many years before I had children so I can't help but compare his development to other children I have dealt with. I guess the best way to describe is to just list some othe worrisome things. First, he did not start walking till 18 months old. I know that is late but it is not unheard of. He is a VERY big boy and was born a chunk so we figured it just took him time to bear all that weight.  Anyway he walks/runs fine now. motor skills are great can write, draw, and cut with scissors. He mastered the potty at 2 but oddly enough still cannot pull down or up his pants to potty and cannot dress himself.  His language development seemed right on target, he was saying alot of words very young, now that he is three almost four it seems all he does is repeat. I know that echolalia is a phase but can also be something more. Example I ask him, "do you want a cookie?" He says, "you want a cookie? yes!"  another example, "Do you have to go potty?" he says, "You have to go potty? Yes!"  he will also come and tell me he wants a drink or something but will say, "You want a drink"  The boy can repeat almost an entire episode of one of his favorite shows. And has memorized many of his books and can qoute them. He never asks "why" questions. and rarely asks "what" or "who" questions aside from "ohh whats that?" but again that is something he has heard me ask him. He doesn't seem to say anything unless it is something he has heard before.  He doesn't conversate.  He can be very emotional at times for what seems to be no reason at all. it seems to stem from frustration of not being able to express himself properly.  He is affectionate, loves other kids and tries to engage them although he talks more at them or about them than with them. Like they are an object. he has a 2 year old brother that he does not play with. ds2 is always trying to get him to acknowledge him and play WITH him by climbing on him following but ds is not interested. He is more content playing by himself with his trucks. he doesn't have any other concerning behaviors aside from the fact that he wont eat anything but peanut butter fruit yogurt pizza and cheeseburgers. Seriously that is the only things he will eat. Anything else I try to get him to eat he will hold in his mouth for hours if I let him. so he ends up spitting it out.   But ds2 is a picky eater too. He is very smart in everyother aspect, can knows his numbers 1-20 all his letters and the sounds they make. knows many sight words. And his learning skills are otherwise normal I think. It is just his social skills. Anyway, am I like in total denial about my son and oversimplifying a problem or overanalyzing a simply language delay?  thoughts?</p>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
<p>Reading your post, what comes to mind is I would have to see this child to offer an opinion.  It could be a lot of things.  I would suggest contacting your school district for an EI eval.  I know that you do not like physicians, but I would also recommend an eval since some of the issues could be medical.  I would suggest posting in your tribal for a pediatrician recommendation.  I have a great one in Houston, but I do not know where you are.</p>

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
<p>Your ds is about to age out of EI so I would contact them ASAP for an evaluation. In addition, you could get an evaluation from an OT.  In our yearly visit to the ped there is a checklist of things that asks if your child is doing "X", it can be a jumping off point in discussing your concerns with a Dr.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts