Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
until this past july, i have always had regular cycles. while they may have scooted a little between 28-32 days, they have never strayed past that.

in june, my husband and i moved back to our home town from across the country. he then travelled every two weeks for two weeks until the end of july. he now offices from home and i am a SAHW.

i realize that all three of these things are enough stress to effect ovulation, however, i would assume that at some point my body would adjust. the move itself didn't seem to effect my body as i had normal length cycles through the end of july.

i have had one period since july26. it was at the end of a 70 day cycle. i am now on cd27 with absolutely no signs of ovulation.

is it possible that i am experiencing delayed effects from the stressful summer?

have any of you experienced this sort of thing?
if so, how long did it take to regulate?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Oh, I know how you feel!! We moved from CA to TX in December 05, and I have yet to have a period without inducing it with progesterone. I will be seeing my doc for Clomid, b/c after nearly a year, it has become apparent that I will not adjust on my own. Hope you have better luck than I did.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I don't have much advice, just some
I've pretty much been that irregular my whole life and it's been an issue even when I wasn't TTC. Basically I really should own stock in HPTs because I would always worry (or hope depending on circumstances) that I was pregnant but of course most of the time I hadn't even ovulated yet.

Did you chart before you moved? Are your temps about what they were before? Maybe you should think about getting a check up at the docs and having them do some blood work-up to check your thyroid.

Have you considered trying vitex? That's what I am actually trying right now, along with B6, but I don't know if its working yet. I also have a doc's appt in mid-november for a physical and to get my thyroid checked. I don't know if there's anything else they should be checking as well but I'm hoping my doc will know what tests to run. Since I've always been like this I doubt they'll find anything but I figure it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you so much for the replies!!

i had my thyroid checked twice this summer and everything looks normal. i was kinda hoping it was low, because who doesn't want some hypothyroid meds??
but no luck there.

i also just picked up some vitex the other day. i have been using it for three days now, but i know it takes about three MONTHS to do anything. i am so hoping i'm pregnant before i need to see results from that.

i really wish i had been charting before i moved!! but no. all that i know for sure are the dates and lengths of my periods. i have always been good at marking that down, at least.

i've also started looking into the effects any of vitamins and supplements may have on ovulation. i take rainbowlight prenatals, fish oil and coconut oil. those are all new as of this summer. but i can't seem to find any reason any of those would have an adverse effect on ovulation.

i am handling this cycle a lot better than last. while i was really hoping this one would be shorter than the 70 day monster, i think i'm taking it in stride. last time i was FREAKING OUT by this time. but now i'm calm...maybe resigned to my late O fate. i'm just hoping that we can catch the egg when it does eventually decide to come out of hiding.

but sometimes i feel like everyone else is just running laps around me, Oing TWICE before i even get one!

and to think that there were times in my life when i cursed having a period every month!!!

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I was thinking about this last night. Yes I think a stressful summer could be affecting you now. I only base it on personal experience though. When I went to boot camp it was so stressful that I didn't have AF at all during it...neither did any of the other girls I was with except the first 2 weeks which of course means they ovulated before they showed up. A year later I'd only had 3 periods in that whole timeframe. I then conceived ds after having to have my period induced. I don't know how much longer it would have lasted but after I had ds my periods went back to being normally irregular if that makes any sense
Basically they went back to being every 2 months or so instead of every 4-6 months.

So maybe it is moving that is affecting your ovulation? Maybe your body is just testing the waters to see if it's safe to get prego again?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shelsi, i think you might be right. i had totally discounted the move as having much of an effect since it didn't make a difference when i moved from austin to pittsburgh. that move seemed SO MUCH more stressful...a new job, planning a wedding, moving twice, a new job. but i think it's bad science to say that something that didn't stress me before wouldn't be a factor now.

i am also really starting to wonder if sharing the house with dh's office isn't putting some odd stress on my body. that is the only truly unique thing about my life now. we are in the process of getting him a small office outside of our home and i wonder if that will balance things out a bit?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I feel for you. I usually have a 22-24 day cycle and now we are on day 33. Hubby and I have been nuts about HPTs, but they are ALL negative. I am ok without ovulating, but where the heck is my period!?

What is vitex? and what does it do for you?

But then we just went through our wedding so the stress was around us too.

But it is driving me crazy to just have to wait.

Bridget, Newlywed wifey to Rich
(10/21/06) Mommy to my adopted Abby (4/15/04)
: FT social worker while hubby finishes grad school, plotting a SAHM transition and starting with a
: revolution while TTC #2
: and
up a storm

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
congratulations on your wedding!!!
our first anniversary is coming up (11/26)!!

vitex is also known as chaste tree. you can buy it in teas, capsules, or tonics. it is well known as the "natural clomid" because it helps to regulate homones and therefore cycles. it is also a uterine toner so it can help with pms . it is not fast acting, however, and has to be taken regularly for three months before real improvement is seen.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hello! I SO sympathize with you all. Would any of you consider acupunture? Before I had DS2 I always had 31 day cycles, VERY regular. Then my little sweetheart DS2 came along and things got WHACKY. My cyles went any where from 27-42 days. I let this go on for about a year b/c we always use condoms and were not TTC. however I was having A LOT of side effects from having such screwy cyles. REALLY irritable, emotional and very low energy were my main complaints.

I saw my MW and she suggested acupunture and it worked! After the 1st month I had a 29 day cycle after having two 38-42 day cycles and she recommended continuing for 3 full cycles to make sure things were on track and I am happy to say the last 3 cycles have been between 29-32 days and I feel SOOOO much better. The down side of acupunture is that it is not cheap, but it was so worth it for me

Just wanted to throw that out there as a possiblilty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.