Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
That's interesting. It doesn't appear as if they controlled for the reason for the delay. For instance, if my first child had a seizure after their MMR at 12 months, I might decide to delay with my subsequent children. So, in my scenario, it wouldn't be the timing of the vaccine, but that the children are more likely to have a seizure from the vaccine no matter what age.

A better comparison would be between the US schedule with MMR at 12 months and another country's schedule with MMR at 18 months and see if there's any difference in febrile seizure rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
What a fear mongering article. If you delay you're doing something that hasn't been tested, it's a horrible scary unsafe world if you walk outside without your meningitis shot. Febrile seizures, which are harmless, but your child might have one!! It'll scare you! Your child will get more pokes and thus be scared of the doctor! How will you ever get your child to a doctor if you do this!! They'll be scared for life, life we tell you!! You don't even know what to do if your child gets Measles! Yes you could look it up and find out to give vitamin A, but just get the shot so you don't have to use Google.

My goodness, such a lot of desperation trying to scare parents. I'd have more respect for them if they didn't act like this. Just be honest for heaven's sake.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I especially like this nugget: A 2011 study found that parents who delayed or refused some vaccines were less likely to believe that vaccines are necessary to protect children’s health, that their child might get a disease while unvaccinated or that vaccines are safe.

They did a study on this? :thumb

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
The study cited in the article discussed delaying MMR from 12-15 months to 16-23 months. It maintained that doing so doubled the risk of febrile seizure (tptb completely talk out both sides of their mouth: febrile seizures are nothing! avoid febrile seizures!). I would take heed to a degree...certainly enough to see if other studies bear this out, if they control for other factors, etc. I am anti febrile seizures, and am not convinced they are *always* harmless. The thing is: none of this would cause me to give MMR earlier, it would cause me to give the MMR after 23 months (if I were inclined to give it at all). I do believe it is possible that febrile seizure are more common in certain age groups...why risk it?

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
There was another study after an outbreak of measles in Canada that said that giving the MMR too early made teenagers more likely to get measles.

Ya can't win.

·
Registered
24,726 Posts
The MMR used to be given at 18-26 months 1988-1999. I remember because my son was born in that period of time.

Reactions: Deborah

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
My oldest (dx'd with ASD) received the MMR at 12 months and then second dose at 18 months. A neighbour boy the same age as my son who followed the same schedule was dx'd with Asperger's. That was the schedule at the time and it has since been changed to 18 mos and second dose at 4-6yrs. I don't know the reason for the change. :serious:

Delaying also makes for increased visits to the doctor’s office,”
How so? What a crock.

Delaying vaccines has other drawbacks, too, Saporito says. “You are increasing the amount of sticks your child must endure—and if you delay them enough, your child can develop a real fear and distrust of the doctor because as they get older they have more of a memory of the shots,” she says. “We also worry that your child will not get all the shots they need because it is hard logistically to come back so often.”
How does delaying the MMR from 18 months to 3yrs increase the amount of needles? How does it change the number of visits? Why would anyone trust these doctors when they are so full of BS?

That article is about marketing, not science.

·
Registered
24,726 Posts
Delaying also makes for increased visits to the doctor’s office,” How so? What a crock.
I have read that insurance may not cover all these extra visits to the doctors' offices.

Other more radical vaccine proponents state that any delay exposes the child to those dangerous viruses and bacteria that only vaccines can prevent.

Yes, it is a crock.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
On the other hand, the more visits to the doctor, the more exposures to infectious illness. Doctor's offices are hotbeds of disease.

·
Registered
337 Posts
All articles written about those who disagree with any mainstream health suggestions.

"You are going to die if you disagree with us! Or suffer horribly!"

(Don't bother to look at previous suggestions, other countries/cross cultural, historical information, etc. etc. that info means nothing! In other words: Don't question authority. Believe us. Even when we say idiotic hypocritical things as truths. Even when we said the opposite the day before. Especially when what you've experienced, seen, read, etc. disagrees with us).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts