Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this on the allergy forum, but I din't receive any answer. Sorry for posting here, but I need some help!

Hi, I'm in a discussion with some other moms in another forum about delaying solids and benefits of that regarding allergies. I was talking about the WHO recommendations, I gave links to Kellymom site, but... someone found an article from a research that says the opposite: in the Archives of Disease in Childhood was published an article in April 2004, a study led in Germany on 642 children from birth to 5 years old, and this article says that delaying solids didn'work, and on the opposite, children developed allergies due to the dalay of eggs and cow's milk.
I' didn't receive yet all the information I've asked to that poster, like the name/names of the article authors, and the exact title. I'm wondering if it exists a more recent article that supports WHo recommendations. Could you help me?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Here's a more recent recommendation for 6 months (although it emphasizes infections, not allergies.)

And it recommends delaying until 6 months, which to me isn't delaying at all, but if someone's doctor and mother in law are insisting on 2 months it will seem like a delay to them.
http://www.medbroadcast.com/health_n...id=6140&rss=67

Quote:
Babies should get breast milk only for 6 months, then add solids: doctors

Mar. 08, 2005

Provided by: Canadian Press
Written by: SHERYL UBELACKER

TORONTO (CP) - Women should exclusively breastfeed their babies for the first six months without adding solid foods or formula in order to promote optimal health, the Canadian Pediatric Society recommends.
You might try asking in chat or by email at

http://www.drjaygordon.com/

·
Registered
302 Posts
Superimmunity for Kids : What to Feed Your Children to Keep Them Healthy Now, and Prevent Disease in Their Future (Paperback)

This book is on Amazon, or maybe your local library. It tells when to introduce which foods and why. I use it for the 6-12 months introducing foods time, but it has valualbe info for older kids too.

Recently rice cereal is under fire. Maybe feeding our babes a highly processed food is not such a great start.

I believe food allergies run rampant now because moms find an easy food like milk or juice and overuse it. I don't give kids milk unless they ask for it. I do give my babe (15 months) a tiny bit of cheese once in a while to help him acclimate.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomoe
Thanks, but what I was looking for are studies that can support those recommendations. I need to find a medical article like the one found by my counterpart in the discussion that we are having http://adc.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...resourcetype=1
This is a study, not a recommendation. A study on real children group, not a statistic or a projection.
I have questions about the methodology of the study:

Introduction of solids was measured retrospectively at 1 year of age. Just how accurate are retrospective studies like this? Why couldn't they send out questionairres monthly asking "which foods does your baby currently eat"?

I'd like to see details of what they consider "delayed" introduction of solids. There simply isn't enough information here to make any kind of conclusions from this.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
have you checked pubmed?

maybe look at the references from the kellymom page, and find something that is bigger and better designed than their study, or several studies countering it. Science is not ONE finding, but the weight of evidence. Statistically, you could fluke any finding in a relatively small study - it's reproducability that is key.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I haven't read through these fully, but here you go:

EFFECT OF EXCLUSIVE BREAST-FEEDING AND EARLY SOLID FOOD AVOIDANCE ON THE INCIDENCE OF ATOPIC DERMATITIS IN HIGH-RISK INFANTS AT 1 YEAR OF AGE
http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...112/2/S1/453-b

Article: Attitudes and practices regarding the introduction of solid foods to infants
http://fampra.oxfordjournals.org/cgi.../full/19/6/698
Sites several studies done on this subject and the authors comment on them. Colclusion: "The literature supports introducing solid foods at four to six months and in certain circumstances, where allergy is a concern, after six months."

·
Registered
79 Posts
A friend of mine has a ds who is violently allergic to all things peanuts yet eats a popular peanut snack of his native country without problem. The mom thinks that here in the US lots of foods are engineed and altered in a way that makes them more allergenic to people.

I also know a lot of Asian moms around here whose babies are allergic and in their countries peanut oils are heavily used and they don't know that problem.... which would support that theory.

Patricia

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.