Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I'm taking a course on nutrition & health.<br>
It says that arthritis is totally curable with changes in diet and supplements.<br>
I have to put my little one to bed, but I'll post more later.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
This is the info I've gotten so far:<br>
There was a woman who developed arthiritis and ate avocados, bananas, pecans, wheat germ & brewer's yeast and "before long" (whatever that is) her arthritis was gone.<br><br>
Foods to eat:<br>
raw or lightly steamed vegetables<br>
raw vegetable juices<br>
flaxseed oil (start with 3 tablespoons/day)<br>
cold water fish (salmon, mackeral, trout)<br>
whole grains, beans & legumes<br>
brewer's yeast<br>
cherries<br>
onions, garlic<br>
fresh pineapple<br>
green tea<br><br>
Foods to Avoid:<br>
meats & dairy<br>
heated vegetable oil<br>
altered fats (like margarine)<br>
refined foods (including sugar & flour)<br>
caffeine, nicotine & alcohol<br>
tomatos, potatoes, peppers and eggplant<br>
citrus fruits (if they are picked too early -- they contain green citirc acid which creates acidity in the body)<br><br>
Here are some books that might be helpful too. Maybe you could find them in a library and get more information.<br>
"Arthritis with Aspirin" G. Berkley<br>
"Arthritis How Your Diet Can Help" S. Terras<br>
"The Arthritis Cure" J. Theodosakis & B Adderly<br>
"Life Without Arthritis: The Maori Way" J. Vries<br>
"How to Beat Arthritis with Immune Power Boosters" C. Wade<br><br>
I'm really enjoying learning about nutrition & health & healing. I hope that some of this or anything you find may help you and your other family members.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hi fyrflymommy,<br><br>
My mom has RA too and I have periodic bouts of pain in my joints. Not too sure what it is. However just so you can rule out RA, RA usually presents itself in pairs. Meaning, if your left wrist hurts, your right one will too. Also, there is usually visible redness.<br><br>
There is a test for RA but only about half the people with RA will test positive, so you could be a negative and still have it. My mom has tried all of the dietary changes and has not had any results. She's been living with it for 25 years and has just started to find relief with some of the newer drugs they've come out with in the last few years.<br><br>
For my own pains, I've found getting chiropractic care to be a big help. Also exercise is supposed to help a lot.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yes, RA is that bad. And it can get worse. My mother's has invaded her lungs (RA is an auto-immune disease so it can spread to other parts of the body.) Steroids (like prednisone) are usually the first thing they try and then they work to go towards something with less side effects. Until the new drugs came out (like Embrol, I can't remember which one my mom gets but it's in a bi-monthly infusion) methotrexate (a chemotherapy treatment) was the usual solution.<br><br>
Dietary changes are recommended. The diet LJ recommended sounds pretty macrobiotic to me and that is supposed to cure all sorts of ills. But it's pretty strict. Massage can help with pain relief and lymph distribution. I would think a good chiro could help but I can't convince my mom to go yet.<br><br>
RA is deceptive b/c we hear Arthritis and think it just means joint pain. Instead think of it along the lines of lupus or ms in terms of effects on the body and mind.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
It may not be RA because of it only being on one side, but there is also osteoarthritis -- which is not equal like that.<br>
I'd suggest going to a doctor and getting a diagnosis -- they can be effective for diagnosis -- and then decide how to heal from there.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
My joints were really achy and I couldn't get lids off jars a couple of years ago. A friend told me that when she was nursing her toddler (as I was), her homeopath recommended magnesium. So I researched the heck out of it and started supplementing with calcium and magnesium. The aches and pains went away, whether by coincidence or not, I don't know...

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'll try supplements. i probly should even if i didnt ache! i havent been eating right and i've been forgetting to take my vitamins.<br><br>
thanx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts