Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking a break from the debate forum but thought this article was interesting and wanted to share.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-...ccine-sends-crowds-even-anti-vax-docs-n294651

Some key parts:

"Demand for measles vaccines has overwhelmed some pediatricians in California — even the doctor best known for treating anti-vaccine activist Jenny McCarthy's son.

"I've given more measles, mumps, rubella vaccines in the past 10 days than I gave in the entire 12 months previously, and I can't make a strong case against giving it," says Dr. Jay Gordon of Santa Monica, California."

"Some of the parents in my practice chose to get that vaccine later than 12 months of age, with my support," Gordon told NBC News. "And very recently since this outbreak began, I've had a lot of people who wanted that vaccine."

"I really do believe that vaccines work," he said. "I really do believe that vaccines are not dangerous."

"I have never given an MMR vaccine and have a child develop autism or anything else wrong — ever," he said.

What do you guys think? Do his statements surprise you? Does the fact that he's given more MMR vaccines in the last 10 days that in the last year combined surprise you?

It doesn't surprise me at all. I (and many others like Paul Offit) have said all along that once we start seeing more diseases coming back and unvaccinated children have a harder time hiding in the herd more people will start vaccinating.

Shame it has to get to that point though :(

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm not at all surprised. It highlights how much the resistance to vaccine hinges on the fact that the diseases are kept rare by people who vaccinate.

Certainly there are a few who will stick to their guns in spite of it all, but most people who are hesitant about vaccines are only hesitant when the consequences are minimal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts