Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I just wanted to make people who are in/around San Diego aware of a wonderful and unique alternative school in your area called Leeway Sudbury School! It's a small, alternative, non-profit, private school school for preschool through high school aged students, located in the Normal Heights neighborhood of San Diego. Here, students can design and implement their own unique educational program in the context of a democratic community.

Leeway is based on the Sudbury model of education, which was first developed
by Sudbury Valley School in 1968. This entails that students at Leeway have the freedom to spend their time as they wish, and as members of a thriving democracy.
In order for students to be responsible for themselves as well as the governance of their school, they develop the ability to work with others under the context of a democratic community.

Through exploring interests and passions at their own pace and discretion, they are thoughtful, self-motivated, and creative. Ultimately, students create their own path toward becoming successful adults and contributing members of society.

I would also just like to make everyone aware that we enroll students ages 4 - 18 throughout the year, and offer many scholarships.

As an intern at this school, I would be happy to answer any questions and contribute to discussion about it on this forum. You can also find a lot of information on the Sudbury model of education through the two links I provided above. Everyone should also feel free to call (619-900-4436)/email the school for more information, or to set up an admissions interview!

Leeway Sudbury School
9406 Alto Drive
La Mesa, CA 91941
[email protected]
(619) 900-4436
leewaysudburyschool.org

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting! We have a few years before my daughter is old enough to go there, but I'll look into it. My husband and I have already been discussing trying to send her to a private school, and I've never heard of this model before. Thanks for sharing the information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Learn More About Leeway at an Info Session/Little Leeway!

Hello, Lunamoooona and anyone else who's interested and nearby!

If your child is not old enough to attend yet, but you're interested in the school, you may want to consider coming to our Little Leeway Playgroup to play and meet our current students and staff! It is held on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month from 1-3 PM. Our next Little Leeway is Tuesday 2/17.

In addition, in order to learn more about the school, it may be helpful to attend one of our Information Sessions, held on the 4th Saturday of every month from 9:30-11:30 AM at our school. Our next Information Sessions is Saturday 2/28.

These events will always be posted on our website calendar, and held at Leeway Sudbury School, which is located at 9406 Alto Drive, La Mesa, CA 91941 (just a few miles east of the boarder of the city of San Diego).

In addition, we have many links to articles about Sudbury education on our website.

Other than that, please feel free to email me with any questions at [email protected]

Thank you for your interest.

Charlotte

1 - 3 of 3 Posts