Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have been hard pressed to find someone who will fill our son's cavities w/ nitrous oxide. we have been to several doctors who want to give him gen anes. in the hospital or an iv sedation in office. to me, who had the exact same problem as a child, it seems awful drastic to do gen. anes. in a hospital for cavities. as a child, 25 years ago, i had laughing gas while the doc filled my teeth. could use some advice................

·
Registered
191 Posts
We are going throught he same thing right now. DS will be 3 this month and he is totally uncooperative at the dentist. He has 6 cavities and a tooth with weak enamel to be fixed. We tried with the gas. WE first went to the dentist and tried it and DS would not cooperate. He screamed and cried. Then I borrowed a mask and practiced brushing his teeth with the mask on at home so we could do it at the dentist's office. He wouldn't do it for the dentist. We decided to get another opinion. I called around and the other pediatric dentists that i spoke with would only do the dental work with GA. We had an appointment with one of the dentists and he said that it would simply be too much work to do with only a gas mask. So we are reluctantly going to do the GA.

How much work does he/she need done? IF you can find a dentist who will do it it is worth a try but it did not work for us.

Good luck,

Lori

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lori,
My ds turned 3 in April. He is not all that cooperative, but is surprisingly so if the person is the right fit for him.....ie: he loves going to the chiropractor and craniosacral therapist. We have been to four doctors (2 holistic and 2 pediatric dentists), we are going to a fifth on Wednesday. The two holistic dentists don't work on children my son's age. The one pediatric dentist wanted to put stainless steel caps on my son's molars (all 8).......not going that route, nickel is too toxic for a growing child. The other pediatric dentist wants to fill the cavities, but she will only do it under GA in a hospital. The dentist we are going to on Wed. will do an IV sedation and try the nitrous first. I am very hesitant towards the GA b/c my son is so sensitive to drugs/chemicals.

Just curious why you are going the GA route instead of IV sedation? Don't know a whole lot about either, so your thoughts are appreciated.

Good luck w/ your son.
Aimee

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
no advice, but we were in the same situation with the decay on dd's teeth--a lot--but the dentist broke the work up into hour-hour 1/2 long appts. and used nitrous twice. I gave her arnica (I think) before and the dentist only needed to use a bit of gas, and she was relaxed and cooperative-and the teeth got filled.
good luck. it's so hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.