Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am so confused about how I am supposed to be taking care of my 1 year old's teeth. He has a well baby visit this Friday, and I want to be armed with information when I go in instead of taking what the ped. tells me at face value. They told me to start giving him flouride drops at 6 months of age...I did do that until I read it was COMPLETELY useless (he didn't have any teeth) and maybe even harmful. But even our naturopathic doctor said that once he had teeth he should be exposed to some flouride. He has had teeth for 3 months now but no flouride exposure during that time. An article I read in a mainstream parenting magazine said that children under 1 should not be exposed to flouride (he just turned 1 two weeks ago)
We have wedela flouride free toothpase for children, I try to brush his teeth with that at least once a day.
Also, can anyone point me to an article about the fact that night nursing does not lead to tooth decay? I know that will come up at the appointment too.
Thanks,
Abby

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I have no idea about the article but our naturopath and our dentist and my dh (a scientist) all agree that the risk of tooth decay is greater than the risks associated with fluoride. So, we use fluoridated toothpaste for our 4.5 year old, started when she was able to spit out, a year ago. We live in a county with highest tooth decay rate in state and no fluoridated water, so dd#1 gets a fluoride tab daily or every other day. Dd#2 is only 3 mos but we will wait to start fluoride with her until she is older and has more teeth, maybe 12-15 mos. I get the argument that they need fluoride while developing but I think 6 mos is just too young. I get the argument that fluoride is bad but we take the middle ground and use it sparingly. No tooth decay here.

We also don't do juice or pop or much candy.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Here ya go:
http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr.../cavities.html
Dr Hale is my dd's dentist. We have been brushing 2xs a day with water only since she got teeth at 6mo. Dr Hale had us test our water through the state dept of enviro quality to ensure a good natural supply of floride.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't have the night nursing article, but I think the reason was because the milk doesn't come out once baby stops sucking, unlike being put to sleep with a bottle where the milk continues to drip out and pool in their mouth even when not actively suckling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.