Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is about to turn 1 year old on Christmas day. I happened
to be looking into her mouth the other day as she was laughing and
noticed some brown patches on the back of her top and bottom teeth.
It would not come off. I did some furious googling and I am fairly
certain she has dental caries. She is a major night time nurser -
she actually sleeps terribly- up about every 1.5 hours to nurse for a
minute then back to sleep. I didnt have any of these problems with
my son who is 3.

So 2 questions...

Anyone have any experience with treating dental caries in such a
young baby?

What about weaning at night for a co-sleeping baby this young? (I
really dont like the cry it out approach)

I made an appt with our dentist for Thursday. I know he will say to wean
her at night. So much for child lead weaning.

·
Registered
169 Posts
OK, take a deep breath. I went through this too when my son was 15 months, and it was extremely stressful. But if caught early, decay can be stopped, or at least kept at bay for a while. For us, keeping the breastfeeding relationship intact was more important than the teeth, but we certainly didn't want his teeth to rot. So we just put a lot of time and effort into keeping his teeth healthy and repairing the damage. We found a breastfeeding friendly dentist (hard to find, but very important), brushed three times a day, cleaned his mouth out after nursing to sleep, did fluoride varnishes and brushed with fluoride paste (just a very very small amount) and applied xylitol to his teeth 5-6 times a day. His decay has now arrested and his nursing patterns haven't changed. I'd be happy to send you a more detailed account of what we did if you want. I feel passionate about this issue, and I know how difficult and worrisome it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OH thanks. Im totally freaking. Id love to know more about what you did such as how did you clean his mouth after nursing to sleep. I think our dentist is pretty supportive- Ill know more about that tomorrow. Thanks so much for your info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.