Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question isn't about my kid, it's about me!

I have a severe phobia of dentists. In fact, until it was pointed out in another thread, I never noticed we had a "dental" forum here at mdc. I guess the mind only sees what it wants to see!

My whole life I saw the dentist twice a year and while some fillings hurt, overall it wasn't so bad. Then 12 years ago I saw a dentist for a cleaning and had several cavities filled over the next few weeks. It was so traumatic that I couldn't even take my son to his dentist appts, let alone go myself (my SO or grandparents have taken my son to his dentist appts.)

Six years ago, a family friend who happens to be a dentist talked me into letting him clean my teeth and he found a cavity, but I never went back to have it filled. I barely made it through the cleaning, even though it didn't hurt, I was having a panic attack the whole time I was there. My friend (& my SO) really tried to talk me into having that cavity filled but I just could not do it. (Plus, my friend told me I needed to get that cavity filled six years ago and I have no pain, so I'm wondering if there was ever a cavity there at all.)

So, my question is, is it really that bad to skip the dentist? I'm very careful about brushing twice a day and flossing at night. Does anyone else take their child to the dentist but not themselves?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
i'm dentist phobic as well and my teeth have suffered for it. I actually am sitting here in pain as we speak waiting for my dh's office to open so i can call and get our dental coverage information and make myself an appointment. I'm guessing i'll need a root canal. i'm having pain in my jaw, side of my face and throat. I can feel the cavity and have for almost .. i dunno... 6 months i've known it was there but have been to afraid to go in to see someone.

and i'm passing on my phobia unintentionally to my kids. My 14.5 yo has only been in a few times in her life and my almost 4 yo has never been seen.

i'm going to go get this taken care of and then get my kids all preventative appointments.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Pug, check the thread in the dental archives (there's a sticky at the top with links to a ton of info) called "nervous about dentistry?". There's a lot of information there about how to handle the jitters and get it done, and lots of natural methods, too. There's always sedation, of course, but acupuncture/-pressure has worked wonders, too.

There's also a thread called "why have dental work done?"
. Just remember, these things never get smaller, they only get bigger, more painful, and more expensive. I just had a lady ignore my recommendation for a $100 filling. Now she needs a $1000 root canal, a $300 post, a $1500 surgery and a $850 crown. Not to mention all the fun ...

You're not alone, there are ways to deal and give you lots of positive experiences so the bad ones are outweighed. Your mind then only relates positive things with the thought of the dentist.

It's going to be okay

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all for the good advice. I was hoping against hope that somone would tell me it was okay to not go, but I knew the odds were against that!

I know I should I go. I've got to do it. But it just scares the wits out of me. Maybe in the fall...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.