Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds has 12 teeth so far. He loves watching me brush my teeth, and loves putting the toothbrush in his mouth and sucking on it, but the moment I try to brush his teeth, he backs up and fusses. I don't want to force it on him because I want it to be a positive experience, but then today, while I was playing with him, I held him upside down and got a good look at his teeth and I could see tartar buildup on his two upper front teeth!

I'd like some toddler friendly toothpaste suggestions that don't have fluoride or propylene glycol in them. And hints as to how to institute the whole proper brushing thing.
Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not sure about the propylene glycol, but Tom's of Maine has no fluoride toothpaste in different flavors.

It really is hard to get a toddler to cooperate.
We resorted to making up silly songs and singing them while we brush their teeth. That has worked/works for us.

BTW, we don't use any toothpaste with our younger ds. Our older ds is just starting to use it. We've always just dry brushed while they lay on our lap or while they lay in bed. Before bed is when we're sure that they get a thorough cleaning. We just let them "brush" themselves in the morning. So far they have had no cavities or tartar buildup.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
we use Tom's of Maine, Goofy Grape. We also used look in DD's mouth and see who was in there that needed to brushed away. It can really be anybody. Sometimes the whole cast from the 3 little pigs or Stellaluna with pip flitter and flap was a big favorite. Now that she's a little over 2 1/2 she likes to do the bubbles her herself and let's me "just finish up" She has always done the rinsing herself.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
my DD loves to brush her teeth. I tell her that she does a good job at brushing them *Even if she misses a spot* And ask her if she likes the nice clean mouth feeling she gets.

I just let her chew on the toothbrush at first. Then, I put some toothpaste on it, and continued letting her chew on it. Then I brushed my teeth at the same time as she did, and she watched and mimicked, and hasn't looked back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts