Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this goes in baby/toddler/or dental, but it's mostly a dental issue, I guess....<br><br>
Right now, my DD takes her EBM and formula (no flames, supply issues) from her bottle. She will take water, and ONLY water, from her sippy cup. No EBM, no formula, no watered-down juice, nada. Which, really, is fine with me right now (I don't want her drinking juice anyway; I just wanted to see if she'd take THAT from the cup, just not EBM and formula). I know that they say babies should get rid of the bottle by about 12 months, 15 at the latest, and that there should ONLY be water in the sippy cup because of tooth decay...well, I've got that half-covered. As far as a "regular" cup, it gets thrown/dumped everywhere, which is fine when it's just water, but I don't want to be wasting my precious breastmilk that way.<br><br>
Here's my quandry...do I just keep giving her EBM in the bottle? I do plan to scale back my pumping at 12 months, but, if I can keep any sort of supply, I'll keep giving her EBM for as long as I have something, even if it takes a couple days to make 8oz. Dental issues? She has 8 teeth already (cut the first two right before and after 4 months), which we do brush, but, how much damage will a "longer-term" bottle do to them, especially if it's only going to be about 1-2 feedings per day (she drinks 4-6oz at a time), but also taking into consideration that she's had her teeth for a while now?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Nutritional deficiencies cause tooth decay, not bottles. See the link in my siggie for healing cavities with nutrition for some ideas on what kind of foods your family can introduce into your diet to avoid tooth decay. FWIW, my DS is 3.5 and still takes a bottle. He only got BM until 6 months of age then it was all formula then organic cow's milk and now organic raw cow's milk since its the most nutritious. He has no cavities and we haven't been diligent about brushing his teeth either. Nutrition is key to healthy teeth.<br><br>
Kim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts