Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got done with a dentist visit where we were told that my dd, who's 11, needs a retainer and headgear. The headgear will have to stay on for 6-12 months and then she'll need braces. My dh is convinced that all dentists are quacks and that she doesn't need any of this and that it's not worth the humiliation of the headgear to fix her overbite. He also doesn't understand the need for headgear and then braces. Can anyone enlighten me? I don't have any answers. Also, is there any medical or health benefit to having this done?

Personally, I'd just have it done but when my oldest was told that she was going to need braces the first dentist also insisted that she was going to need a (ah, I can't remember what it's called, but basically a device that widens the roof of her mouth) and the second orthodontist told us that there was absolutely no reason for that to be done. Considering we're looking at a $5000 bill after our co-pay I should probably get a second opinion at the very least. Will I have to get a new mold done if I get the second opinion or can they use the same x-rays and mold from the current dentist?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
growing jaw easy jaw to fix.
adult jaw...well its been 7 years of braces, 4 surgeries (including having my lower jaw sawed in four places and split, jaws wired shut, splinted, having my palate sawed off my head....screwed into place, screws removed....)
and I just might be done in a year.

IF MY MOTHER had taken me to an ortho at your dd age it could have been fixed easily sure headgear maybe but it would have been easy.... and not that expensive.... I have spent and my insurance probably in excess of 50k.
and that does not include time for montly appointments over those 7 years, parking, gas, babysitting.

Quote:
Also, is there any medical or health benefit to having this done?
OMG yes, I suffered from headaches, jaw clicking I was wearing down my teeth and jaw sockets irregularly. I didn't want to smile and show my teeth I SURE DO NOW

After having my bite corrected I have not had one single TMJ headache.
I could have avoided 15 YEARS worth of jaw issues if my mother had been on the ball.

If you want to save money ask, my ortho cost me 2500 bucks FOR 7 YEARS!
of monthly visits, retainers...oh its going to cost me 125 bucks as I keep loosing my retainer I am such a child

see if there's a dental school around that will do her treatment for cost.
my family was big on teeth health but I had straight teeth just a wicked overbite/cross bite/open bite. They thought braces were for crooked teeth and overlooked it. Its not about how teeth look its about how they work if she has a wicked overbite her teeth are not working/aligning the way they should men get their cars aligned

Shiloh recovering from surgery #4 last week.
4 periods of PURE LIQUID DIETS, 4 rounds of anesthesia, painkillers, antiboitics, steroids that all could have been avoided if my mother had bothered to treat me then.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
I had 2 years of braces during which I had to also wear a headgear that went around my neck. Oh yeah, so attractive to boys and I was at that boy crazy age. Luckily, I only had to wear the headgear at night.

After 2 years of braces I had 2 more years with a removable retainer. I'm thankful my mother and father paid for the braces. I had the most horrendous overbite. I kid you not. I had four front teeth that looked like rabbit teeth thanks to 10 years of thumbsucking at night.

Is it possible for her to wear the headgear at night? It can be socially ostracizing for a young child to have to wear it at school. I haven't heard of headgear first then braces.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's homeschooled so she could wear it whenever we're home. That's not really the issue. The issue is that my dh insists that dentists are quacks who will tell you absolutely anything to make money off of you. My dd does have an overbite from sucking her thumb but it's not horrible. She doesn't notice it even and nobody's ever teased her about it or anything.

We got a second opinion today and this dentist said basically the same thing. They want to give her headgear and then braces. They aren't asking to remove the last of her baby teeth though, like the first one suggested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.