Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are entertaining the thought of moving to Denver from Colorado Springs when I'm out of school. This wouldn't be for about 2 more years, we just want to know if Denver is even a possibility for us. We would like to live IN Denver, in a walkable, diverse, and safe neighborhood. I would like my kids to be able to ride bikes, etc. with relative freedom. Is this possible in Denver? We would be looking for a townhome primarily. Also, I understand there's a public Montessori school in Denver, and wouldn't want to be too far away from that school. We would need a house around $175,000, 200K absolute max. Is this something that can be done in Denver for what we are looking for, or are we dreaming?

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
My DD went to Denison Montessori in Denver for a while, and we loved it. There are definitely homes in that area in walking distance, and probably that price range. I, personally, probably wouldn't want to live in that exact neighborhood, but there are far worse places in Denver to reside.

The school is public (part of DPS) but living in the neighborhood won't guarantee a spot. It's a lottery system and highly desired. Previous M schooling may up your chances of getting in. For 3-4 yo's there is a tuition (when my DD was there, it was $350 per month, but it's likly higher now). It stinks to pay for school, but doing so does guarantee a spot in 1st grade and beyond at the school (and for free at that point).

Ana Marie Sandoval is another public Montessori program in Denver (and it's dual-language!) in the NW area. Having worked in that area for years, I may be more willing to live around there than Denison's neighborhood.

I may come back with more info
there are quite a few public/charter/magnet Montessori options in the Denver metro area -- though, in the city of Denver specifically, there's only a few. We were super happy with a Montessori school in Thornton. But it's suburbian, and a bit of a drive from downtown Denver (cheaper housing and much safer, but doesn't have everything you are looking for).

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
You might try looking in Lowry or Stapleton, although I think it's probably borderline as far as your budget. Both are newer (redeveloped) communities, very safe, and very walkable. I don't know anything about public montessori schools, unfortunately, but there are a couple of montessoris in and around Lowry (which is where we live).

·
Registered
230 Posts
I also think Stapleton may be your best bet. It offers newer homes at a range of prices and provides a quick commute to downtown Denver.

I live in the NW area of Denver and I've also heard good things about the Sandoval school. I have a newborn, however, so I can't attest to it.

Best of luck on your move. I lived in CO Springs for years and I know it's quite a transition.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cindi, you're funny!

Thanks ladies for the input. The Lowry/Stapleton areas look like a place we're going to look when we're ready to buy. Definitely top-of-the-list for buying a home!

DH and I have decided to rent for a bit, though, and are looking at Cheesman Park or Congress Park. We wanted to live more of an urban life for a bit, but without the downtown prices. Anyone know if these areas are as good as they look on paper (high walkability, etc.)? We decided to move next summer instead and DH is getting really excited.

You ladies rock! Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Cheesman and Congress Park are both very nice areas. I can't really attest to their walkability as I'm not very familiar with them, though. I imagine they probably are. The parks are really nice, though.

Another area you may want to consider for renting is Park Hill. It has a really nice little shopping area with a small market, restaurant, florist, bakery, etc. Very close to City Park (and the Zoo and Museum of Nature and Science). Just a great area. Probably not affordable for buying, but you may find something to rent! Same thing for Crestmoor Park/Mayfair/Montview. These areas border Lowry and are pricey to buy, but rentals might be feasible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.