Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the depo shot really that bad? Can someone provide me some info? I need to get back on some kind of bc, and nothing else really seems appealling. I was on it before Gwen was born and never really had any problems until I got off of it. We are not planning on having any more kids, just waiting on dh to get the big V, so I'm willing to take my chances on it messing with my fertility. I do not want to take the pill, because ds was concieved while taking the pill, so I don't really feel its realiable. I can't stand having anything inside me, so barrier meathods are out, and I have heard that IUDs cause really bad cramping, another thing I don't want. So are there any other options available? I'm also not organized enough to do NFP my last dd was concieved when we tryed NFP, on the first cycle that I got after dd was born. Any advice, or good reasons that I shouldn't use the shot? Thanks.

· Registered
4,494 Posts
If you've used it before without problems then I guess why not do it again? But I do know that for a LOT of people (everyone I've ever known who was on it) it causes 10-15 pound or more weight gain, acne, mood swings, and unpredictable periods with cramping. I personally would never use it because I worked as a pharmacy technician and heard what pharmacists say about it- the chemical compound is very unnatural to the human body. One pharmacist I worked with wondered if it may contribute to MS (very long hypothesis and chemical explanations).

I would also never take the pill again because it causes vitamin deficiencies that contribute to abnormal Paps and altered immune function.

We used lambskin condoms (VERY different from latex) before I was pregnant combined with NFP (basically if I was on my period or it was the week right after it we wouldn't use condoms, but then would) and that worked.

I do highly recommend the lambskin condoms though (so does my man) They are easy to find at Eckerd or drug stores (NatraLamb is the brand we used) and there are synthetic versions available too.

Good luck!

· Registered
7,392 Posts
nak

i used the depo shot for 2 years when i was 19, it was a bad choice for me. i gained 100 lbs (yep, seriously from 125 to 225, i'm still carrying an extra 60 from where i should be), it killed my sex drive, my migraine frequency increased to daily, acne and mood swings. after i stopped i had over a year with no menstrual cycles and then was very irregular for the next 2 years. now i can't tolerate any hormonal birth control, even the mini-pill causes me problems. prior to depo i was on the pill for 4 years with no problems.

for some people it works great, for others it is a nightmare. for me it made me fat, b*tchy, and not want to have sex - those side effects alone were effective birth control. this was back in 1994 that i was on depo so there was very little information available about the side effects.

· Premium Member
23,870 Posts
The only caution I have it so do some research on the side effects. It may not just be messing with your fertility, it may also be potentially causing harm. Especially if there are age limits and what not.

Also, I have two friends who got pregnant thru the pill, and then also got pregnant while on depo. They thought it was a step up on the level of birth control - but I guess that their bodies had other ideas. :LOL

· Registered
7,392 Posts
after we have our 2nd child (don't know when that will be, LOL, ds is only 3 months) then i will get another IUD. i had the copper-t iud for 5 years after i stopped depo and loved it, it was a good choice for me. i've tried the patch, pill, contraceptive film (hello ds!) and contraceptive suppository and haven't been happy with any of them. i'm not sure what else to try, i'm hoping others have some input! i don't really want to depend on nfp right now, at least not until i get my cycles back. i have a prescription for the mini-pill, but dh is currently deployed (navy), so the atlantic ocean is a pretty good barrier method for now.

· Registered
4,494 Posts
that's too bad that your dh won't give some non-latex condoms a try. My boyfriend was more than happy to try the lambskin when I told him it was that or NFP only (which means not having sex for a week or more at a time). After explaining the health problems hormonal birth control caused me and explaining how unnatural it is he wanted what was best for me ("how could I ask you to poison yourself so that I can have 5% more enjoyment from sex that is already great"- his exact words!) And if you do NFP and some good lambskin condoms then 1/2 the time or more you are able to go without them anyway so he is getting 2 1/2 weeks of condom-free sex.
Maybe if you talk to him about it he will be cool with at least trying them during your fertile times ("it's a whole lot better than having to pull out when it's feeling really good"-other words of wisdom from my boyfriend)

Good luck!

· Registered
6,128 Posts
depo is scary stuff. as a pp said, it made me extremely moody, i started getting migraines (still get them, even though i've been off it for 4 years this year, was on it less than a year. maybe depo's not the reason, i'll never know, but it very well could be).

i got off depo in march 2001 after being on in since july 2000. when i was due for my next shot in june 2001, i passed out 4 times that month, felt fatigue and had a slew of other symptoms, and eventually saw a neurologist who thought i was crazy. i got on the internet and read stories about other women experiencing the very same things.

i think this stuff should be taken off the market.

try nfp, an iud, or anything else...

· Registered
6,616 Posts
I did depo for 18 months with no problems other than really really bad cramps during my first cycle off of it.
I did have to argue with the doctors about 12 weeks doesn't equal 3 months (ie, don't give me my shot a week late!).

I'm back on the pill, but I haven't had reliability problems. If you are looking for something that doesn't require daily "maintenance", how about the IUD, the ring, or the patch?

There is also the essure coil for permanent birth control that is similar in expense and risk to the big V.

· Registered
2,299 Posts
please don't get the shot..I did...back in november and my life has changed horribly since.. gained 15 lbs (I have heard it actually has a chemical that increases your appetite) which I know I DID to myself but depo helped.. I get headaches now ..never had those in my life..I have pimples..haven't had those since high school (10 years) back and shoulder/neck pain..MOODY..NO SEX DRIVE ( thats the birth control right there) tired as all h*ll!!!!! always... oh yes and I have had my period for about 5 weeks so far..yippy. it is pure evil in a vile... I obviously am not going back for another shot..not that I need it now because my sex drive is in the crapper...sigh... oh well just thought I would share my horror..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.