Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read numerous articles on the subject in the past- I think it hit home.<br>
2 months ago I had to put my 11 year old Weim to sleep for health issues. Our 5 year old Ridgeback boy seemed more attached to her than I thought. He has increasingly become withdrawn, on walks he trails behind us, barely keeping up and is overall just not himself.<br>
Our Pet sitter who knows them for a few years noted the difference. I can't find a physical reason, a exam at the vet's office turned out fine. We take him to the dog park and he is his old self again. He is actually getting more attention than before, that can't be it either. He spent most of his life with other dogs around. Should I give him more time to adjust?<br><br>
Here is the catch: I wouldn't mind adopting another dog. We have 2 sons, 19 months and 4 months. Would it be wise and responsible to do that, towards everyone involved?<br><br>
Any ideas?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sorry about your weim!<br><br>
I would not have been able to take a new dog on at the same time as having an almost newborn, but everyone's different, and you've had 2 dogs before, so you know what you'd be getting yourself into.<br><br>
For now, could you arrange more time at the dog park for your ridgeback? Find ways for him to spend more time with other dogs? I bet he really is missing his pal, poor thing! And canine company in general.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'd start researching dogs, truthfully. Our rottweiler is not a dog that enjoys being alone. We got a second dog, a little frenchie, for her, and she was thrilled. They played hard all the time, she took care of him like her baby, the sun seemed to rise and set on that pup for her. And then he was stolen, and I swear she was so sad and depressed and we just couldn't pull her out of it.<br><br>
We started "Borrowing" a friends' dog, they'd drop her off during the day so she had another dog to keep her company, and we started to see her become more like her old self. During this time, we were researching and looking for another dog, too, and finally found one that's a good fit for us (mostly lol). She and the mastiff have bonded and are great together.<br><br>
So, I think there's something to be said for getting a second dog, if you're up for it. Dogs are pack animals, they like having other dogs around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts