Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just feel sad today. Work is stressful. I work at the major local hospital and all I hear about is cuts. I don't think my entire job is threatened, but my hours could be cut. I don't think that's it, though. Just a yucky-feeling day.

Last year at this time I was on antidepressants and antianxiety meds. I felt better, but I really don't want to do that again. I'm still mostly functional and not too far gone yet.

It doesn't help that it's way too mild here, which means RAIN and GRAY. And I work at home all day, alone. Mostly I like that, but with a low mood it can be worse.

Anyone got some quick-fix cheer-up ideas? I love magazines, Christmas lights and chocolate. I think I'm at the stage where I could still respond to stuff like that. I've been living with depression and anxiety for over 30 years and I'm just tired of it.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for these suggestions! This is EXACTLY what I need to know. I have fish oil, need to remember to take it. I have acerola chewable vitamin C,
80 mg. Will that do for vitamin C? What is 5HTP? What is GABA? Should I be taking all these supplements, or just some of them?

I find it very difficult to eat when I'm like this and I'm fairly thin, so the protein gets tough. Yesterday I ate carbs the entire day. They were "whole" carbs, but carbs nonetheless--ww bread, muffins, oatmeal, etc. Most times I eat lots of vegetables, but not when I'm in a spiral. Is protein powder useful?

If I have to go back on meds, I will. No point in feeling like this all the time. If I could make myself exercise, that would be helpful.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
440 Posts
no answers, mama... i've been suffering from depression etc. for over 30 years myself. i'm now 38... i'm living in a place that sees blue skies and sunshine about 320 days of the year and i'm STILL horribly down. i just can't win...

just wanted to send you some
:

·
Premium Member
3,851 Posts
No don't do them all at once. 5HTP and tryptophan are amino acids and act as SSRI's which is also what St. John's Wort does. I would pick one and see if it helps. Gaba works on your gaba receptors and has a calming effect. If you would like to read about this stuff, I recommend The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. She gives you plans to follow based on what your needs are. She knows her stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carfreemama View Post
Thanks for these suggestions! This is EXACTLY what I need to know. I have fish oil, need to remember to take it. I have acerola chewable vitamin C,
80 mg. Will that do for vitamin C? What is 5HTP? What is GABA? Should I be taking all these supplements, or just some of them?

I find it very difficult to eat when I'm like this and I'm fairly thin, so the protein gets tough. Yesterday I ate carbs the entire day. They were "whole" carbs, but carbs nonetheless--ww bread, muffins, oatmeal, etc. Most times I eat lots of vegetables, but not when I'm in a spiral. Is protein powder useful?

If I have to go back on meds, I will. No point in feeling like this all the time. If I could make myself exercise, that would be helpful.

Thank you so much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.