Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.kcci.com/news/18178187/detail.html

I can't find the update (they just released it on the news like 10 minutes ago)

But basically this man put up some shantys in the woods for the homeless men that lived there. Over the weekend one burnt down and injured the homeless man inside. So the mayor and the city council went to the scene to see what to be done.

The council decided to force the men to be vacated from the shanties and they will be torn down.

The whole situation ticks me off, the shelters are all too full and too crime ridden...at least here they had wood burning stoves and some form of shelter, they aren't hurting anyone...

I don't live in Des Moines so I can't do much about it...

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was only the one with a propane heater, the rest are heated no different than a bunch of houses around here, wood burning stove. I know 4 people off the top of my head that heat their whole houses with a wood stove.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
We have a HUGE homeless population here in Portland, OR

It is an ongoing problem that police bust up "illegal" camps/squats/shacks/shanties like what is mentioned in the OP

It is really heartbreaking, and it really makes you have to think about what is a right vs what is a privilege. Is lying down somewhere to sleep a Privilege?

We have "Dignity Village" here now and I hope that more cities will allow this...
http://www.dignityvillage.org/conten...d=18&Itemid=28

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallMeKelly View Post
dubfam... thank you so much for sharing that link! What an inspiration! I am enthralled

Sure!!
It is very inspiring to me...I am so proud of that community. They are setting an amazing example, which will make it more likely that other cities will give it a shot.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
It is so cold out right now

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmeyrick View Post
I wish there was a better structure and more shelters available for them. The shanties may well have been a fire/health hazard. But took take away what little these folks already had- ugh!
Agreed. A similar thing happened her before, as well. The fear (substantiated or not) is that shantys do not conform to fire code so they are a fire hazard. It is a bad situation, I agree, but I remember when taking the shantys down was discussed one of the shelter director's here said that there were often nights when beds in the shelters went empty because people would rather live in their shantys and do what they like rather than stay in the shelters and follow the rules that they have..

ETA: I like the "dignity village" idea! It is also important to note, though that they have rules against alcohol, drugs etc- which is apparently the reason why the shelter beds were empty some nights here- people don't always follow that particular rule..

Something else that has happened here- old hotels are being remodeled to shelter the homeless in like mini apts.. can't remember their name, though.. and they might have priorities like homeless families or people in drug treatment something, but I think we have two of these structures going now in my city.. hmmm I have the facts a bit off- but here it is- "Safe harbor"

http://www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?ID=1351

Quote:
Safe Harbor isn't a homeless shelter or a housing project. It's more simple than that. It's a nonprofit hotel in Anchorage, Alaska, a kind of sanctuary where people coming out of shelters or off the streets can stay while they work some things out. More than a hotel, even, it's a neighborhood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.