Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I am so frustrated I need some advice! Although this is my 4th child he is SO different. Like my other kids I nursed to sleep, then placed in basinette until 1st waking where I'd bring him into bed with us for the rest of the night. This worked fine for the most part for about 4.5 mths and then all of a sudden he absolutely refused to do this. He'd wake the minute I put him down (which he did before too the odd time but this was different). I tried over and over again and after a few nights of this I was too tired to bother fighting it and I brought him into bed with us and bf him to sleep right from the start of the night. So I never did try it again because it became so convenient! Well once he got to rolling and then crawling I put the side car crib attachment but he doesn't really like to sleep in his own space - he has Mommy radar down quite well! I wouldn't mind it so much but he is up AT LEAST every 2 hrs, however lately it's more like every hour. I am so exhausted and I'm going to have to get a job soon and can't see how I'll function! Other notes: he doesn't take a pacifier or bottle, he was a large baby at 10 lbs 3 oz when born, he was a bit of a rough delivery by being posterior until she got him turned, he had some gas issues in the beginning but I thought they had passed...now I'm wondering
he already has 6 teeth....that's what I think prompted the refusal to sleep in basinette because he got 1st tooth at 5 mths old. Usually when he wakes in the night he'll nurse right back to sleep...sometimes he gets very restless though and flops around like a fish out of water! Not sure what else to say...he is a very happy baby - gets at least 3 hrs sleep for naps a day but bedtime is very inconsistent even though I try to do the same routine every night! I really need to figure out why he can't just sleep longer stretches!

· Registered
44 Posts
I am having a very similar problem. My 9mo is staying up later and later and she is waking really frequently during the night. She wants to nurse but it really seems like she's using it just to go back to sleep. She used to take a pacifier and won't anymore. And much of the time she just can't get herself back to sleep. Last night she slept from 9-9:45 and then was up until 12:30am! She was gassy and did end up pooping so I'm beginning to wonder if it's diet related. What kind of food is your LO eating? I'm suspecting dairy (cottage cheese) at this point. On the other hand I'm not sure why that would keep her from going to sleep at night. I hope someone has some ideas - cause Lordy I am TIRED.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have been asking other Moms on my other boards and I've had a few swear that once they eliminated ALL dairy that their baby slept better. Now my little guy did have gas issues as a newborn and eventually it seemed to get better (or so I thought!) This is bad but I do have milk allergies and I shouldn't have it in the first place but I don't get a bad reaction and it's hard to eliminate! I did eliminate it before I got pg and then all that went out the window with all the cravings! LOL! So I have to try this anyway for myself and so it can't hurt! The hard part is getting used to reading labels again and not having the things I enjoy! I just got this list that you should look out for on labels because it doesn't always say milk: (and some foods to eliminate)

Butter
Butter oil
Calcium casein
Casein
Cheese
Cream
Demineralised whey
Lactalbumin
Light cream
Milk powder
Whey solids
Whey protein concentrate
Whey
Sweet whey powder
Sodium caseinate
Non-fat milk solids
Milk solids
Skim milk powder

Of course there is also chocolate...boohoo! I have managed to find a margerine that has none of these and I am replacing my milk with rice milk and almond milk which both don't taste too bad. I hope this helps!

· Registered
277 Posts
Babies go through a sleep regression at nine months. Mine did, actually at eight months and then lasting until nine and a half months. Then he started sleeping better until he started teething in earnest again. Now at ten months he sleeps erratically, but with some long stretches sprinkled in there. Sometimes he will wake up and want to practice sitting up. He did that last night at about 2:00 in the morning. He was wide awake and talking to himself in bed. I got up and read to him, then brought him back to bed, where he practiced sitting up and then kept collapsing against me and resting his head on me. Then he slept the rest of the night until 8:30 AM!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.