Mothering Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the feedback, Raindrop. My son is 13 months old now and we're still having to work on keeping him regular, but it's getting better all the time.
The biggest thing that has made a difference is keeping him very hydrated. I have generally weaned him off the juice now and just give him water, but sometimes if he refused to drink the water I'll dilute some prune juice with water, and then he'll drink more. His poo is predictable now in the sense that if he's drinking enough fluids (apart from breastmilk ), I know his poo will he nice and soft.
Unfortunately we had to stop ECing for the most part. I think it was a good decision for us, because I want to make sure the little guy goes when he has to. There seemed to be some anxiety surrounding the potty too, I think from being in pain from the constipation. Sometimes I try to offer him the potty when I can tell he has to go poo and he seems to be holding it. Sometimes he'll go poo right away on the potty, but other times he screams and wants off, and then he'll poo in his diaper a bit later. I'm not worried about it anymore. As long as he poops somewhere, I don't care lol! I just keep it positive, and after he poops (whether in his reusable diaper or the potty), I show him how I put it in the toilet and then I get him to help me flush! He loves that and I think it's helping us turn over a positive leaf with pooping! Whatever you decide to do, I would just caution you to not push one thing or another. Encouragement is great, but I think my own agenda was stressing the little guy out before. Good luck!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I just want to pop in and say if you are having to really work to keep a baby or toddler pooping semi-regularly, that there are usually food sensitivity issues. Once you figure out the *cause* of the problem and eliminate it, everything will be much much better!

For my kids, the problems were blueberries and dairy. Dairy is *hugely* constipating, but it can take a few days to "build up" and also several days (sometimes weeks) to get completely out of a system. We've found that avoiding dairy entirely is the best way for our whole family to stay regular and healthy. We all have different symptoms that pop up when we do have some dairy - headaches, skin bumps / rashes, constipation / gas.

Best of luck!

-emiLy

21 - 23 of 23 Posts