Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... so here's how last night went - maybe someone can shed some insight and help solve our sleepless nights.

7:30pm - put Tehila in her bed - she nursed to sleep - wakes sort of when I lay her down, but settles right away
8:00pm - put Gedalya in his bed - nursed to sleep - sometimes wakes when I put him down, but I sit with him until he goes to sleep
11:00pm - Gedalya woke up (this is pretty good for him - he often wakes 45 min. after I first lay him down)
12:30 am - Gedalya woke again - now he's sleeping in my bed
1:00 am - Tehila woke crying - nursed her and put her backin crib
2:00 am - Tehila woke crying - nursed her and put her back in crib
I'm sure i nursed Gedalya in here, but don't know when
3:00 am - Tehila woke crying - nursed her and put her back in crib
4:00 am - Tehila woke crying - nursed her and put her back in crib
5:30 am - Tehila woke crying - nursed her and put her back in crib
6 am - nursed Gedalya (could very well be that I nursed him in between all of Tehila's - frankly, I do not remember)
6:30 - Tehila woke crying - and it took a few minutes for it to register with me - nursed her in my bed
7 am Gedalya nursed and woke up Tehila

Okay, we're up now - they hardly nap at all during the day. I've been focusing on one nap midday - which they probably will not get today because I've got to drive carpool.

I'm EXHAUSTED - Dh doesn't get it and I'm starting to become short-tempered. This has been going on for weeks. I thought maybe that they weren't eating enough during the day, so I'm trying to up the amounts of food that I give them - I'm not seeing a difference. I do hear Tehila's stomach kind of gurgling at night.
Tehila is definitely teething. She's getting all 4 molars at once - 2 are already part of the way through.
Dh thinks I should 'let them cry it out'. he knows how I feel about that. I don't know what to do, I just know that i can't keep going on like this. needless to say I'm getting no sleep and I can't lay down when they do. However, I definitely fall asleep sitting up on a regular basis.

Okay, h e l p ????? pretty please?

·
Registered
474 Posts
My simple answer is to move your children into your bed with you. When my baby needs to nurse at night I half wake up and she latches on and we both go back to sleep quickly. When my older children stir or have bad dreams most of the time a gentle, "Mommy's here.", will settle them back down. If the do wake completely up the snuggle into to me and tell me they had a scary dream and cuddle back to sleep. I have 4 little ones that I would be up all night with if I didn't co-sleep with. Babies and children naturally want to be near their Mama.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I would say that if you want to get a good nights sleep, just cosleep. Ahhh the peace you will find in it. and the kids will sleep great. Or as the other poster said, try the ncss. great book!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I'm thinking that since one of the babies is in your bed most of the night, then there's a reason you're not sleeping with both in your bed. And i know for me (with just the one) having him in bed with me means being up a lot, too. I'm sure it would be MORE if we weren't co-sleeping (last night's experiment with the co-sleeper = exhausted mama) but I can totally relate to the needy nightime baby problem...

What is helping me is that s l o w l y my DH is "getting" it -- that it isn't co-sleeping that is the issue, that if he helps, things are easier (and i am saner & nicer during the day!).

Last night, after I tried putting Rem back in the co-sleeper after nursing and Rem woke upp at 4 am, wanting to "play" (i. e. flail at mommy's boobs and pinch mommy's skin!) my DH *finally* -- after months of rem having night issues -- asked "how can i help?" and i asked him to have Rem on his side, so i could sleep a bit, orat least not be flailed at... this was AWESOME!!!!!

So, enlist your DH somehow... what helped my DH most, i think, was hearing from our freinds that this just a kid thing and wasn't just a "crazie Lexie" thing. (yeah, he didn't really know... he thought everyone else's kids slept PERFECTLY. nuh-uh, no way!)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, sorry i didn't qualify earlier. I have always co-slept with my babies, but Tehila sleeps so much better in her crib than with me. (something that has made me feel very guilty). When she slept with me it was an all night nurse fest - compounded by the fact taht I'm nursing her twin frequently as well. He sleeps better with me, but I'm starting to turn into that all night restaurant. Dh works crazy hours and often isn't even upstairs, no less in bed. Hoewver, hehas started to hold a baby while we're sleeping and that helps immensely. As an added bonus, when Tehila cosleeps with us, she's very, very fidgety and will sit up and throw herself backwards with no regard to what might be behind her - like say someone's head. She also will decide, when she's in our bed, that it's play time and then they're both up for an hour at a time or more.
I'm not interested in letting my babies cry - that's not my tune. It's just a sign of how exhausted I am that I didn't respond to her cry right away this morning.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
All, I can offer is that I hope (and pray) that this is a phase and offer you more hugs.
It sounds like your intuition is ferreting out the best solution for your babies, and that you just need more support. I hope that you are able to find it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts