Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I saw one of the OBs in my practice today and he recommended the Nuchal Translucency test to me to screen for birth defects. I told him I didn't want any invasive tests so he said we could do this instead. The only reason is that I will be 35 2 weeks before the baby is due.

Does anyone know anything about this or can give any information? My insurance apparently doesn't cover this so it will be an out-of-pocket expense... HMMM.....

momto1and1ontheway

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I don't know anything about this nor had I ever heard of it so I did a quick google and thougth I would share some of the more interesting results. My main concern with it would be- if you have a higher chance of downs based on the test results will your doc want to do a more invasive test to further determine if the baby has downs? I guess for me, since even if the test was "postive" for downs or other, I'm not going to do anything about it, so I don't need to know. I can see how some people want to know and prepare themselves, siblings, grandparents, etc. Let us know what you decide!

http://www.wcox.com.au/nuchal.htm
"The Nuchal Translucency test is only a screening test that aims to give a risk of a particular woman having a chromosomal disorder.

A low risk cannot exclude Down Syndrome or other chromosomal disorders, as it is only a screening test, not a diagnostic test. In the best studies published so far, the test was able to diagnose 80% of babies with Down syndrome and other chromosomal disorders. In a low risk population of women under 30, it may detect 60% of affected babies."

http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/p...cy/nuchal.html
This is great because it is a bunch of other mom's giving their experiences with the test.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.