Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ladies,
I am sorry to have to ask, I tried searching the forum for the answer but couldn't find it. I am looking for a link to the information about which detergents were good for cloth diapers. Could somebody please help? I am going shopping for detergent and need to pick some up for my cloth diapers, I don't think that Trader Joe's Next to Godliness is working, my diapers are a little smelly. Give thanks in advance for the help.
Blessings

·
Registered
462 Posts
We have tried a lot of different detergents, and have a lot of feedback about which ones have and haven't worked for cloth diapers. The three detergents that seem to have never caused any problems are Tide (not Tide Free), Allen's Naturally, and Charlie's Soap. Every "Free" or "Free and Clear" detergent will leave detergent residue that makes the diapers repel or smell. I know there are a few other detergents that also seem to be okay, but those are the three that we have personal experience with. I think many people like Country Save and Sun. Detergents we have had many complaints with are Method (Target), Sam's Club detergent (Windfresh??), Tide Free and Clear, All Free and Clear, Arm and Hammer Free and Clear, BioKleen, Dr. Bronner's, Seventh Generation, and Dreft.

Now, I know lots of parents who use these "problem" detergents, and don't have any issues, so it really depends on your water type, washer, and wash routine. But we've never heard of any issues with the "safe" detergents (unless it was too much or too little detergent). HTH! It can be so confusing - and especially hard since everyone's water is different and only a few detergent makers list the ingredients. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I have heard negative things about Biokleen and cloth diapers, but my experience with it has been great. We had been using All Free & Clear and had terrible buildup and stink. Now, with Biokleen powdered detergent in very small amnounts, no problems!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sqoya
We have tried a lot of different detergents, and have a lot of feedback about which ones have and haven't worked for cloth diapers. The three detergents that seem to have never caused any problems are Tide (not Tide Free), Allen's Naturally, and Charlie's Soap. Every "Free" or "Free and Clear" detergent will leave detergent residue that makes the diapers repel or smell. I know there are a few other detergents that also seem to be okay, but those are the three that we have personal experience with. I think many people like Country Save and Sun. Detergents we have had many complaints with are Method (Target), Sam's Club detergent (Windfresh??), Tide Free and Clear, All Free and Clear, Arm and Hammer Free and Clear, BioKleen, Dr. Bronner's, Seventh Generation, and Dreft.

Now, I know lots of parents who use these "problem" detergents, and don't have any issues, so it really depends on your water type, washer, and wash routine. But we've never heard of any issues with the "safe" detergents (unless it was too much or too little detergent). HTH! It can be so confusing - and especially hard since everyone's water is different and only a few detergent makers list the ingredients. Good luck! :)
ditto everything you said...sadly been there done that and can agree

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I think your water has a lot to do with how well a detergent works. I have had great luck with any "free" detergent. We just get whatever is on sale and use that(all, tide, arm and hammer, purex). We have never had any funky issues whatsoever. I use 1/4 of what the manufacturer recommends and put it in the cold wash and then I do a hot wash with no soap at all. If they are smelly when I put them in the washer I might add some baking soda or viniegar, whatever we have on hand, but we have never had any smelly issues after the dipes have been washed and dried.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by studentmama
I think your water has a lot to do with how well a detergent works. I have had great luck with any "free" detergent. We just get whatever is on sale and use that(all, tide, arm and hammer, purex). We have never had any funky issues whatsoever. I use 1/4 of what the manufacturer recommends and put it in the cold wash and then I do a hot wash with no soap at all. If they are smelly when I put them in the washer I might add some baking soda or viniegar, whatever we have on hand, but we have never had any smelly issues after the dipes have been washed and dried.
what kind of diapers did you use? we had fuzzibunz and i think they are more particular. oh and the really absorbant stuff like hemp would soak up the stink too if you don't wash often enough. just curious!

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
One website that I return to often that has a lot of useful info about detergents is at PinStripes and PolkaDots:
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

Personally, I use Allen's Naturally for my dipes with vinegar in a downy ball for the rinse and haven't had any problems yet - but we've only been doing this for about 6 weeks!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Another fan of BioKleen powder here!

I have used it VERY successfully with my FB, PF and BSWW. We have well water, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichole
what kind of diapers did you use? we had fuzzibunz and i think they are more particular. oh and the really absorbant stuff like hemp would soak up the stink too if you don't wash often enough. just curious!
nak,
i am using motherease fitteds, softbums aio's and fitteds(organic and hemp), prefolds, and kushies. they are all super absorbant and he is definately a heavy wetter and i don't wash as frequently as i should
and i have never had a problem with funkyness after they have been washed.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeta
One website that I return to often that has a lot of useful info about detergents is at PinStripes and PolkaDots:
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm

Personally, I use Allen's Naturally for my dipes with vinegar in a downy ball for the rinse and haven't had any problems yet - but we've only been doing this for about 6 weeks!

thanks for the link, off to read

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I am glad that this question was asked. I had been trying to figure out what detergents were best for diapers, but there didn't really seem to be a concensus. I haven't washed any diapers (I am due August 31st) so I don't have any experience yet. Thanks for the link to deteregent recommendations.

We have been having a problem with our towels though. They are smelly as soon as they get wet again. I washed them last night and made sure that the water was hot (our water heater is on a timer so I thought maybe they hadn't been washed in hot even when I set the washer to hot) but they smelled right after our shower this morning. I want to get the towels not to smell before I start washing dirty diapers.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Charlie's Soap is THE BOMB! I love it -- we use only 1/8c per large load and it works great. I bought two gals (we use the liquid) when I was ~ 7 months' pregnant and Guinevere is nearly four months' old now and I still have nearly 1/2gal left! It's absolutely a great deal $ wise even though it might seem costly up front, but it's way cheaper in the longrun than Allens.

We use it on dipes (FB), baby clothes, towels, even dog bedding. It's the BEST detergent I've found.

If any inserts retain stains after a wash (we use a dry pail and the longer they sit the more likely a stain might hang around), I just squirt some Charlie's directly on it, and toss it back in the pail. After the next wash, the insert is totally stain-free. Ditto on any clothing that gets poopy.

DH was working in the garage and came in with greasy hands. I squirted some Charlie's in his palm and the grease came right off. I'm a huge fan of Charlie's

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marymamma
What about baking soda? Anyone use that instead of detergent and have good results?

I was reading another thread about using baking soda, tea tree oil, and vinegar (in the Downy ball) and how well it works for laundry.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=475859
I use baking soda in my wet pail sometimes. I haven't really noticed a big difference using it.

I do use Tea Tree Oil. Sometimes I put it on a piece of fabric and throw it in the dryer with my Prefolds to freshen them up a little.

I have used vinegar on my Fuzzi Bunz when I've noticed any odor. I just pour a half cupful into the washer for a soak. Seems to help, and extends the time between needing to strip.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The key is to use *enough* detergent. Don't be afraid to use more if your diapers are smelly. I've ben hanging around this forum for years and I just don't buy the whole build-up= stinky diapers thing. So maybe use a little more of the TJ's detergent you're already using? I stay away fom any detergents that claim to brighten or whiten, and any that contain enzymes. I've used Tide (regular, scented) for almost 3 years and no stinkies here

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
We use some variety of either Tide or Purex - depending on what we've grabbed most recently. Never had any problem with repelling or odours in almost 4 years of cloth diapering.

Oh - and we use a laundromat, so there is only VERY rarely an extra rinse or cycle or anything. Maybe once every few months I will run them through a second full cycle just to ensure there isn't a huge amount of detergent left in them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
More questions -- and I've been doing this for 2 years! What about the washing soda/simple green combo I've heard about? Anybody use that and how? Also, for those who use covers and prefolds (and FBs too) what's your regimen? I have been doing a cold cycle-sometimes with bking soda and sometimes with vinegar too), then a hot cycle with detergent and then another hot or warm cycle. Lots of water! I also have been washing my covers separately so that I can wash them in warm. I just read on the Cottonbabies site about washing even the prefolds only in warm. If this was the case I could start doing everything together. Anybody only wash warm and not have problems?

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
We use mainly pockets now. Our routine :

- dry pail, rinsing any poopy diapers well first.
- take everything to the laundromat every few days
- run one full hot wash/ cold rinse cycle in the front-loaders there (I put the detergent in the pre-wash cycle)
- dry
- go home
- repeat.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stacey0402
The key is to use *enough* detergent. Don't be afraid to use more if your diapers are smelly. I've ben hanging around this forum for years and I just don't buy the whole build-up= stinky diapers thing. So maybe use a little more of the TJ's detergent you're already using? I stay away fom any detergents that claim to brighten or whiten, and any that contain enzymes. I've used Tide (regular, scented) for almost 3 years and no stinkies here

This is SO true! I was having stink and using only 1/4 of the amount of detergent. As soon as I started using the full amount, stick is gone! No build up to get rid of, they were just dirty, lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Boy, these threads move fast. I am thankful I got an e-mail update. I washed them two times the other day and then used a little more detergent. I also switched to powder, because
I didn't realize that there was fabric softener in the liquid. So they smell better. I also just got some new diapers and they smelled a little strong too, so I am thinking that his urine is smell different now. Maybe more info than you needed.

I am using Tender Tush OGs, they are fitteds with a sewn in doubler. I like them a lot, I just got some new ones from E-bay and they are so thick that they take forever to dry. I am waiting the arrival of some Little Lambs. I am soooo excited that I finally got going with my cloth diapers. I bought them before Kyan was born and I was so busy finishing my degree that it seemed overwhelming, but is it never too late.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts