Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you expect of your 2.5/3 year old?<br><br>
We have been having some difficult mealtimes with Dd not wanting to eat anything (we're trying not to stress over this) or sit at the table. If we let her get down, or don't stop her, rather, she runs all over the place screaming for one of us to come and play with her.<br><br>
Is it developmentally appropriate for us to expect her to sit at the table for 15-20 minutes? Or is that too long?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I don't think it's too long at all. Our DS (30 months) is expected to sit at the table with us and has been since he was an infant. If it's a new thing in your family, then you may have to ease into it.<br><br>
On nights when he's just too antsy, we let him get down if he's eaten enough, but he's told that he has to play alone while we finish up.<br><br>
We also involve DS in meal prep and clean-up, which I think makes it easier. It's just part of his life to do meals with everyone.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
We also expect our children to sit with us at meals. If she's not hungry, then she still sits there while we eat. If we're all done eating and we're just talking, then we let her down and she'll usually go sit on daddy's lap or go play by herself.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I like for ds to sit with us...i try to make it fun..really talk it up and ask him to help put the cups on the table and or the spoons..etc..if he only eats one bite then wants to get down that's ok too..talking and making it interesting to him..may help..put his peas in a cirlce on the plate or stand the corn up right and say he has a round tower on his plate...make it fun to be at the table..encourage your child to pray and put his/her hands together..ds loves to do this.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
It depends. Dd will usually sit 10-15 minutes without problem.<br><br>
BUT, is your dd maybe just reacting to the new baby still?<br><br>
-Angela

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Ours sits at the table with us, unless it's a weekend when he's eaten his dinner early because he was too hungry to wait. But 95% of the time, he sits with us. But, he always has. DD now sits with us in her high chair even though most of the time she's not eating anything yet.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Our expectations are that our kids sit at the table with us for 5 minutes, even if they're not hungry. 99.9% of the time, once they're at the table, they eat dinner and sit for 10-15 minutes.<br><br>
If she's not used to sitting at the table with you, 20 min is too long to start with. I'd start with 5-10.<br><br>
This has been our expectation since our kids were very little. We did have trouble with ds when he was about 18 months where he'd be done and then stand and scream next to me until I finished. As I get very, very cranky if I don't eat, I would put him in his room until he stopped screaming. (He didn't want to sit on my lap, nor dh's lap, he wanted me done to play.) Not the most AP, but it saved my sanity. And it was a short lived stage - maybe 6 weeks tops.<br><br>
Our kids have no trouble sitting at the table and eating with us. Some days it's 5 min, some days it's 20. Most days it's 10-15. At 2.5, I think she's old enough to learn that you will not play until you are done eating (and that you won't rush your dinner). When that becomes not an option, I suspect that she would rather sit at the table and be with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our ds 2 1/2 (almost 3) has such a short attention span it is really hard for him to sit with us the entire time we are eating dinner. Most nights he eats very little & then gets down to play. We have tried & tried to get him to sit the entire time but it is sooooo hard & frustrating. Most of dinner is spent us trying to get him into his chair for the remainder of dinner or us forking his food into his mouth while he is down from the table playing.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
The rule in my house is that we all stay at the table until everyone is done eating. My toddler is a slow eater, so that can take a while, but it's just how it is. My boys are 20 mos. and 4.5 and have no problem sitting at the table for 30-60 minutes. When we go out to eat and have to wait a long time for our food, they get antsy, though.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
We all sit down together to eat. My 2.75 year old likes to take a few bites, get up and play, take a few more bites, etc. We now tell him that he doesn't have to finish his food and he doesn't have to stay at the table for more than five minutes, but as soon as he leaves, we clear away his plate and he doesn't get any more food. Since he loves food, that works for us.

·
Registered
831 Posts
See I have a real problem with getting DD to sit still for ANYTHING. She is 2 and has never been able to be restrained. Everytime she was put into a high chair she would scream and cry till she threw up. So needless to say we dont force her to sit down anymore.<br>
She has her spot and will sit for dinner(we dont have a formal dining area, we all crowd around our coffee table) and does ok for max like 10 minutes, but she wont eat unless she is next to daddy-she will not even touch her food if I serve it to her. Its gotta be him. She is going through a very picky stage and is a very physical child(has to have lots of challenging or physical activites to keep her going), so we try to let her have room at dinner time.<br>
I think starting out with a few minutes at a time and working your way up to it will be easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts