Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So dh comes home, saying he has yet another story about why we will never voluntarily birth at the local hospitals.

A co-worker's sister had a baby there....baby was shivering all night...mom complained, but the nurses told her it was fine, cover him with a blanket....totally dissed the mom....then in the morning, baby still shivering, even when totally covered....blood sugar shows it's WAY low.....so what do they do...take a BF baby, and try to give it formula....babe doesn't want formula, and now is nipple-confused, and can't nurse...so they keep trying to shove formula down it's throat....sigh. They turned a BFing mother into a FF in one day...by first ignoring her when she insisted her baby needed help, then by shoving formula down baby's throat when they realized they had screwed up BIG time.
Dh said he advocated strongly for getting babe back OFF the formula, as soon as she was able, and called it "poison" Heehee.

Idiots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobandjess99
So dh comes home, saying he has yet another story about why we will never voluntarily birth at the local hospitals.

A co-worker's sister had a baby there....baby was shivering all night...mom complained, but the nurses told her it was fine, cover him with a blanket....totally dissed the mom....then in the morning, baby still shivering, even when totally covered....blood sugar shows it's WAY low.....so what do they do...take a BF baby, and try to give it formula....babe doesn't want formula, and now is nipple-confused, and can't nurse...so they keep trying to shove formula down it's throat....sigh. They turned a BFing mother into a FF in one day...by first ignoring her when she insisted her baby needed help, then by shoving formula down baby's throat when they realized they had screwed up BIG time.
Dh said he advocated strongly for getting babe back OFF the formula, as soon as she was able, and called it "poison" Heehee.

Idiots.
#1). WTH was she not told to strip that baby down to it's diaper and hold it against her bare chest and tummy under blankets?!?!

#2). Why oh why, how oh how, can a mother be so easily put off of breastfeeding??? Society has to stop this from happening! The fact that she knows no better, and is that easily disuaded from breastfeeding reflects very poorly on us. We have so much work left to do!
:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ugh. A friend of my sister just had a baby, and the nurses there told her that her baby had dropped more than 10% of his body weight, so she needed to supplement with formula before she could leave the hospital.

I hear about hospital misinformation so much - I can't imagine how many times this happens EVERY DAY
: .

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jillc512
Ugh. A friend of my sister just had a baby, and the nurses there told her that her baby had dropped more than 10% of his body weight, so she needed to supplement with formula before she could leave the hospital .
That's pretty common. Happened to us although I was not told that I HAD to do anything before I left, but wasn't given much options or support in that my milk would come in, etc. My midwives did try to say that it was pretty common and that once my milk came everything would most likely clear up quickly-- but it was hard to ignore the fact that the pediatrician was concerned about weight loss. Certainly didn't help me feel any more confident and added to that overwhelmed feeling and baby blues.

My biggest complaint was that I was given the normal nipples for the bottle and not told that I could cup feed or use a LactAide- even by the LC's. I told a nurse that I was planning on breastfeeding and she brought me some 'breastfeed' friendly nipples at least.

DS had latch issues for months... so I'll never know for sure if that was because of that or just him.

But the 10% rule and breastfeeding is something I wish I had read about before my son was born. I think if I had some knowledge I would have been able to stand up more and question the pedi on whether it truly was necessary.

Also my pedi practically SEARCHED for my ds to have jaundice-- he didn't much to his obvious shock. I can only imagine what would have happened then.

This did happen to my best friend, and even though I tried to reassure her and give her pro-bf'ing advice, she still (of course) went with her pedi's advice. Luckily it didn't effect their nursing relationship-- but it did cause them to have to take son to the hospital and leave him there for 2 days- instead of being at home nursing and bonding.

It seems those 2 things, losing weight and newborn jaundice are something mnay pedi's need a new education on

Jessica

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jess,
Not that it makes a difference (since they're all as bad as the other) but which hospital was it? My mom recently gave birth at memorial and I found them to be much less bf friendly than my experience at St. Joe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts