Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH has a skin infection all over his knee. It's a bunch of oozing sores that are red and swollen. He says it hurts and itches. Now DS 2yrs has a little sore on his chest. It's about 2mm in diameter and oozing. It's also swollen and red around the outside. We've been using 100% therapeutic grade TTO on both of them about four times a day, and the sores are looking a little better. They're not so inflamed and some of the oozing is drying up. They've also stopped spreading on DH.

I know it's not ringworm. I've seen a heck of a lot of ringworm, and this isn't it. DH probably picked up the infection from wrestling mats though. And I know a wrestler near here who had MRSA and had to have it surgically cut out of his leg.

Is there anything else we can try?

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Yes! Go to a doctor and have it checked ASAP!!! If it is MRSA, that can be VERY bad. It is contagious and resilient to ordinary antibiotics. Please go to your doctor!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Any chance they were in the woods recently? I say that because my DH gets poison ivy/oak at least 3 times a year. He is highly allergic to it, and it sounds very much like your initial description.

Either way, I'd get it checked out.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DH's lesions are just about cleared up now, but DS's is getting much worse. DS's lesion tripled in size in the last 8 hours, despite the TTO. It is scary! I'll probably bring him to urgent care when he wakes up from his nap. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Andrea, I know it isn't poison ivy or poison oak.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sucks because we don't have health insurance though. Grr.

ETA: Actually I just called my social worker, and we are still covered under Medicaid. Woohoo!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I just posted on the other thread. Impetigo can be caused by staph and strep. Strep causes ulcers. Took my daughter in, she didn't even have a sore throat, she was given a strep test and it was positive.

I had been treating w/ tea tree and it was clearing up. Our naturopath didn't even suggest strep. But come to find out it was strep.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, we just got back from urgent care. We were seen by a very nice nurse practitioner who was great with DS. DS of course didn't want to have anything to do with being examined and was very dramatic about it. I explained the whole story about DH getting an infection from wrestling and treating it with TTO. Then DS's lesion looking like the same thing. And I mentioned that staph infections go around a lot in wrestling. I asked for a culture, and the NP took a swab for the lab. She prescribed an ointment called Bactroban. She didn't seem too concerned that the infection was anything really bad, so I feel better at least. She also wrote a prescription for an oral antibiotic, Keflex or something like that, but said not to fill it unless the infection gets a lot worse. Overall, I felt it was a pretty good experience. She didn't really push the antibiotics, and in fact said that we could just take a wait and see approach. I'm filling the Bactroban prescription, but I might just continue with the TTO for a few days and not use the Bactroban unless it keeps getting worse. I'll call up the lab in a couple of days to see what the culture grows and try to update you all. Thanks for the support!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This morning, it looks like the lesion has stopped getting bigger, but it is still red and oozing. I've only been using the TTO so far. I'll use the Bactroban only if it looks like it's getting worse.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I called and got the culture results today. It is a Staph aureus infection, but thankfully not MRSA. I've been treating it with TTO, and it looks pretty much the same. Neither better nor worse.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride
Well I called and got the culture results today. It is a Staph aureus infection, but thankfully not MRSA. I've been treating it with TTO, and it looks pretty much the same. Neither better nor worse.

http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co.../51/2/241#SEC4 this site did a study and showed TTO not effective, but Black Tea and vaseline were as effective as the antibiotics.

I wish my camera worked because there is a plant that is used. When we were little, one of my sisters used to get the same infection all the time and she would chew it up, spit it out and slap it on.
Always worked.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, they used a 5% TTO body wash in that study, and I am using 100% TTO. It was the only thing we used on DH's Staph infection, and it cleared up in about a week. I think the problem with DS is that he doesn't let me put it on as frequently.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride
Well, they used a 5% TTO body wash in that study, and I am using 100% TTO. It was the only thing we used on DH's Staph infection, and it cleared up in about a week. I think the problem with DS is that he doesn't let me put it on as frequently.
Good point. I originally was searching to try and find the name of the plant my sister used and stumbled across that study/article.
I am almost positive it would be found in your area. If you know any Ojibwe medicine wo/men you could ask them. It's the same plant we have always used to treat staph infections.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I get staph infections due to eczema and garlic does a fairly good job clearing it up. Both eaten raw (several cloves with or without food) and the juice applied to the sores. It'll burn but it kills the bad bugs. If you don't mind smelling like garlic for a few days. TTO is OK too, but it's not as effective for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts