Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dh got into work today, just to learn that they had to let him go due to company cutbacks. i am so upset. this could totally screw with my plans to stay home with dd and the baby after its born. and what is with the timing? a week before xmas? could they not have waited till after the holidays at least? i have six days off planned this month and early jan, and on top of that dd is sick with a high fever (wants mommy, not dh, to stay with her of course), and its spossed to snow this week which could mean the preschool where i teach would be closed. dh will get unemployment, but it wont be his full pay. i guess i should be thankful we'll at least get that though. i was just so excited to finally have a break from the "daily grind" and stay home with dd and my new baby to take care of the house(ive been working to support myself since i was 16), and now i dont know if he will be able to find a job that will pay him as well as this last one did- so i dont think that will happen
i guess i just had to vent. i know my complaining is kind of selfish. dh feels awful and it is not his fault this happened. i feel like this pg has been cursed, it's just been one thing after another. i am trying really hard to be thankful for what we have, but it just isn't happening right now. things were finally looking up for us financially and now its all fudged up again
i really dont want this baby to be a daycare baby like dd was (no offense meant at all to any who have their little ones in daycare), the thought of it is just eating me up

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
OH
. I'm so sorry.

You are totally allowed to feel bitter, angry, and upset about how it affects you. There's nothing wrong with that at all. It needs to settle before you can think alternatives in any sort of positive light.

Take care. My dh got laid off one week before ds1 was due. Bad timing, too. You'd think they would have a little more crass.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am trying to be positive. if worse comes to worse we can just stay in this little apartment through my maternity leave to save some money. and maybe i can find a nanny position that will allow me to bring the kids with me to work, so at least i can be with them. it was just such a bummer to hear this news right now!

·
Registered
826 Posts
That's awful! They should have at least waited until the New Year (not that it would have made things much easier, but your holidays wouldn't have been affected). I'm sorry. Hopefully he will find something he likes better. It is a bummer, and I'm sorry you're going through it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Vent all you need too. It sucks in every way, shape, and form. I'm sure your dh will get lucky and find another job soon. I'll keep me fingers crossed for you!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
That. Totally. Sucks.
:

Sending lots of "even better than before" employment vibes your DH's way...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'm so sorry.

Dh's company is doing layoffs this week also. I'm trying to stay positive, but I don't know what we'll do if he gets laid off.

April is still 4 months away. I hope your dh can find a job before then that will let you stay home for a while.

The nanny idea is a good one. I may need to get a nanny job so that I can continue to stay home with my kids.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by riversong View Post
I'm so sorry.

Dh's company is doing layoffs this week also. I'm trying to stay positive, but I don't know what we'll do if he gets laid off.

April is still 4 months away. I hope your dh can find a job before then that will let you stay home for a while.

The nanny idea is a good one. I may need to get a nanny job so that I can continue to stay home with my kids.
i know. i am really wishing you could watch a couple kids in my state without a license , because that would be perfect for me. the licensing process is such a pain it wouldn't be worth it to me. sometime in the future i will be starting a daycare or preschool, but i dont want to attempt that now with the economy the way it is.

today i got home from work, and dh was cleaning the kitchen. i was actually JEALOUS. lol. i should have been happy, but instead i was mad. i want to be the one who stays at home cleaning the house! LOL. talk about hormones. normally im begging dh to clean things

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry that your family has to deal with this stress right now. This has happened to a couple of my mommy friends around here and I was just talking to a friend today who just got laid off. Ugh.

DH just got bad news from his work too, they're facing pay-cuts and a raise in their insurance premiums plus no more overtime or holiday pay, which we totally depend on- it looks like it'll cost us about 10K, which is more than we can just cut out of our totally tight budget. You're right about the timing- ow what can we do? How can we go pick up the slack (for lack of a better term) working when we're expecting or will have newborns at home?

Hang in there, that's all we can do right?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
to everyone else who is going through the same thing! and good luck to all of you. i am at least looking forward to finding out the sex of baby tomorrow

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post
DH just got bad news from his work too, they're facing pay-cuts and a raise in their insurance premiums plus no more overtime or holiday pay, which we totally depend on- it looks like it'll cost us about 10K, which is more than we can just cut out of our totally tight budget. You're right about the timing- ow what can we do? How can we go pick up the slack (for lack of a better term) working when we're expecting or will have newborns at home?

I don't know if this helps in your situation, but dh's company is shutting down for 3 weeks at Christmastime, so that means 3 weeks without pay. They told him he could apply for unemployment for those weeks once he'd been out of work for a full week. And with the shutdown week he had at Thanksgiving, he's able to apply now. He hasn't done it yet, but I'm hoping it really works.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.