Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dh was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis about 3 years ago. He has been on some sort of medication ever since and even with the meds, he would have flare ups but would eventually get back to 'normal'. Well, this year, he has not been better and its been months. He is basically stuck at home because of this condition. He practically lives in the bathroom [
] Obviously, this has been a huge strain on us since I WOH and provide most of the income but he is responsible for his older children's insurance and child support. Which his employer covers 100% of the insurance for which we are very grateful! But I cannot see his employer keeping him on forever without him working... I'm an HR Manager and I can tell you his company doesn't qualify for FLMA (small employer). He also had no paid time off via his company. We both have $$ in retirement accts we'd rather not touch [
]

I think that's enough background... Here are the issues that I'm struggling with:

1) Money - I'm going to need to get a second job because dh was able to at least buy our food but that's just not happening...
2) Daycare - I'm not willing to send ds to daycare if dh is going to be home all day... albeit, in the bathroom most of the time but still. We'd save $185/week if dh would watch ds.
3) Clearly, dh is struggling with the whole 'manhood' issue...not providing for his family is getting him really down.
4) He's home all the time but not helping out around the house as much as he could...

If anyone has any tips/suggestions for tactful ways to broach the above issues that I have PLEASE either PM me or post some responses!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Gosh I don't know or have any advice, but I sure hope he gets better soon! That is no way to live. Maybe the meds aren't correct for him? Maybe they need adjusting? Something has to be done, he will have no life in the bathroom sick all the time.

to your family and many prayers that something works out!

·
Banned
5,619 Posts
While not exactly in the same, I can sympathize. My dh has something like that but without the lable. He takes no meds for that though and able to work. One thing that he found is there are certain foods he needs to avoid or else he pays for it, including foods and drinks that have nutrasweet. It sounds like maybe your dh's meds need adjusting or changing if there are others. Keeping ds out of daycare will save money and that is good. I would just like to say under the obvious catagory watching a child is work. If he is going to home with him, will be able to handle it? As for housework, that might have to be a discussion. Everyone has there preferance for what they like (or tolerate) best. Start with that and hash out the rest. It sounds like you have a nice little family and something like chores can be worked out...

For all your sakes, I hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I should also mention that we have tried the Specific Carb Diet without any tangible results. And he has an appt with his doc on Aug 3rd... He's been waiting for months to get in... I don't understand what is going on with our health care situation...
:

He 'should' be capable of watching ds during the day... as his condition basically has him in and out of the bathroom but it does vary...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts