Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8yo ds just got dx'ed with Chicken pox this morning.<br>
My 41yo DH hasn't had them - at least his mom and dad and grandma never remember him having them.<br><br>
I know it is possible my Dh has some immunity - maybe he had a mild dose or something got looked over when he was a kid.<br><br>
But, if he hasn't had them, how at risk is he for getting them now? We have got a call into our family doc/high school buddy to hear the medical answer but mamas, what do you think? Advise, help, references, imput, please!

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
If he is fairly healthy he should not have a problem. CP is not as alarming as some other childhood diseases in adults. I would not worry. Besides, I bet he has gotten natural immunity at one time in his life.<br><br>
For sure I would not get the CP vaccine. It increases his chance for shingles. JMO.<br><br>
If he really has no immunity his chances of getting them are pretty good. But that does not mean he is in danger - but there's a pretty good chance he won't be going to work for a week or two.

·
Registered
654 Posts
A few years ago my dh (who hasn't had the CP) went to the doc to ask about CP and the vax, etc. Doc told him that if he hasn't had it by now that he most likely has a natural immunity to it. Doc did not recommend or suggest that dh get the vax (yay!).<br><br>
Hopefully your dh has a natural immunity and won't catch the CP. Good luck!<br><br>
Jill

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all!<br><br>
Our doctor/buddy called and pretty much said the same thing as all you! And we feel so great that everyone made all the same points and the moment of worry is long gone. That as long as he is a healthy guy, he has probably picked up some natural immunity along the way.<br><br>
Soooo . . . life goes on. Normally, just with spots.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
My dh never had the pox, my 3 kids got them last year, dh still never got them.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
My husband came down with CP right after Christmas, and it really wasn't a huge deal. He took some anti-viral that cut the time down to about three days, and only had one really uncomfortable day. He looked kind of funny, though. LOL!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts