Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does wool sometimes come in skeins and not already in balls?<br><br>
Anybody know?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I think ti has to do with the fibers getting harmed from being tightly wound in a ball?

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Because Americans have ballwinders and Europeans don't.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'm impressed your dh knew the difference. My dh refers to all yarn as "string" and half the time he says "sewing" or "yarning" instead of "knitting."<br><br>
He's a total dork, but I love him anyway.<br><br>
peace, beth

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
In my knitting class yesterday, the instructor warned us about balling wool, said it doesn't like it since it can lose elasticity. Virtually all the wool in her shop was either in skeins or hanks. The only stuff in her shop that was in pseudo-balls (more like loose flattened center-pull discs) was a single ply wool with very little twist to it (it pulled apart the first time I frogged it). She did have bamboo and (I think) soy in balls, but no wool.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
I don't wind my yarn into balls before I use it, I just make sure that the end inside isn't tangled up with the end outside before I start to use it, and it pulls out nicely until close to the end (unless my dd gets at it before then). If it does get tangled or isn't pulling out well, then I wind it into a ball. But it is much nicer, IMO, to have it wound like that instead of in a ball that tries to roll away every time I pull some more yarn.<br><br>
I do roll leftover bits into balls, but very losely for the stretching mentioned above.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies . . . I never considered that being wound into a ball might damage the fibers. I guess I hadn't really thought about it until dh asked!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts