Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, more sleep problems for the board. Ds is 16 mo old now. Here is the background: Co slept with dh and I until 13 mo and then he moved into his own room in a crib. It worked out great for us. One month later I night weaned (I should add that I am 22 wks pg) which was hard but we went from waking every 1-3 hrs to waking 1-3 times a night, great improvement! All of a sudden, ds is waking at 3 o'clock every night and refusing to go back to sleep. We only nurse now to go to sleep at bedtime and that seems to be fine with him durring the day. I do not want to re-introduce nursing for night wakings. But last night he was up for over an hour as I tried to rock him back to sleep, all he did was cry, then begin to fall asleep, but end up crying again. Dh says we have to let him cio and I need advise on what to do. I never would have considered it before but I am considering giving into my dh's feelings. Ultimatly, I worry that ds's waking is only out of habit. He is not hungry, wet or thirsty. I check each of these every night when he wakes. He never has these episodes durring the day, he is a happy baby. So those of you who have been through this same situation, help me out please.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Could he be feeling a bit of separation anxiety? Or fear of the dark? He might even be having nightmares.

I don't think CIO solves anything, but if he's crying out of fear, it's going to make the situation even worse.

Is moving the crib into your room or bringing him back into your bed totally out of the question?

What about a lovey? Or something with your scent on it.

There's another think you could try, which might be a bit hard on you for a bit, but probably not quite as hard as having an inconsolable child. Since he's waking up pretty consistantly at the same time, is to go in just before he's been waking up and either half wake him up and soothe him back down from there or just wait until you see signs that his sleep is becoming disturbed, then try to comfort him into a deeper sleep without disturbing him.

HTH!

·
Registered
167 Posts
oooo be careful before you decide to use CIO. You will never survive if you'give in' to it rather than wanting to try it. We tried for 9 days when we tried to break our baby's pacifier habit (it seemed to be causing him to wake up often and unhappy). It was the WORST 9 days of my life, and no doubt my baby's too. I would cry uncontrollably and rage at my dh, it makes me feel ill to think about how upsetting it was. No way could I do it in a hormonal pregnant mood (was that just me?).

It totally failed, turned him from a good sleeper to a distrustful one who wouldn't lie down even next to me without crying. My lesson was be flexible. I gave him back the paci and he learned to trust us about 3 weeks later. Horrid.

Now that I've said all that, I'm in no way trying to tell you what to do, but please be aware that it is hard and does not work with all babies. I was convinced it would (the nurses here said 3 days tops) but although I was totally consistant, it was a total disaster. Of course, you may be desperate, and it may work after 5 mins for you, but do be sure before you begin.

Whoops, too much waffle...bedtime, sorry!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.