Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I assure him that he does? Ds is 4 months old and I think it's because we just got back from a trip w/a very long car ride (he had to sit in the car seat & not be held) and he got a shot yesterday. It started w/dh joking about ds being a "momma's boy" but since we got back (dh didn't go, just grandma and us) the joking isn't really there any more. I stay home and dh works all day, but ds has been fussy and will cry harder or just barely tolerate being held by dh while I'm making dinner, getting ready for bed, etc.<br><br>
Is it normal for a 4 month old to prefer one parent over another? Did he "forget" his papa after being gone for 5 days? How do they get re-aquainted w/out ds screaming?<br><br>
Tia!

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Ditto. It's totally, completely, normal. In fact, about 8 or 9 months ago, I was writing the same post, and dh was feeling quite slighted by ds' 110% insistence on all mommy all the time. Now, ds still wants me when he's tired, hungry, etc. but when he's well-rested and in a good mood, he'll happily hang out with dh without me around for good chunks of time.<br><br>
It just takes time.....there's nothing wrong with your ds, and, most importantly, nothing wrong with what you're doing! In other words, you're not "making" him this way through attachment parenting, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, or whatever else.<br><br>
One trick I read about that worked for us was to have dh flirt and play with ds while ds was nursing or in my arms: peekaboo type of games to get ds used to this funny, amusing, different person from the safety of mommy's lap. I also got them in the habit of taking baths together, as ds loves the bathtub. When ds was really little, he would fall asleep on dh's chest while dh read Dr. Seuss' Sleep Book to him. Little things like that really do help, but the main thing is just time!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I am having the same problem. It started out as joking and it's not anymore. Of course, I don't think my DH makes enough of a real effort with DS, but that's something else. Also, I think he's getting separation anxiety in general now, he was fussy for our friends the other night and he's usually not fussy for them either.<br><br>
Holding on to him while DH plays games with him is such a good idea!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts