Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds is 7.5 months and dh has already been mentioning wanting another.I'm not sure I want another one at all,ds is a GREAT baby so easy to get along with but I want him to get all of my time,attention,etc...You hear so much of kids acting out and going backwards(like with potty training)when a sibling comes along..Will I get over this feeling of only wanting one??Dh has mentioned wanting a BIG family and how being an only child would be lonely...I just don't know

· Registered
6,797 Posts
Wow, you still have a very little baby!

I can relate somewhat to what you're going through though. Part, just part, of our marital issues (a very small part) is due to DH wanting more children. He always envisioned having more than one.

I don't feel up to it at all. Not at all.

I had a terrible pregnancy, just awful delivery (emergency c-section
) and our child has a few special needs that just about wear me out. Being a parent to one child has been a big challenge for me.

And my marriage is not near a point where I want to have another baby.

It's a tough situation, I guess. Most of the time I see threads where the mother really wants another baby, but the father doesn't, and it's usually where they already have 3 or 4 kids.

I responded to your post because it is DH who wants more children, not me, and we only have one.

Good luck as you both figure this out.

· Registered
3,022 Posts
DH has been bugging me for another since DS was 6 months. I am not ready either. I was also where you are thinking that I only wanted 1. Then AF came back and it all changed

I am still not ready right now for another but to get DH off my back, we have come to an agreement to start trying this winter if a few conditions are met like DS sleeping some more and being able to pay the midwife out of pocket. Even though I am not ready now….I know at some point I want another and that has been enough to get DH to stop bugging me.

Once your fertility returns you may change your mind. Is there anyway you could ask DH to stop talking about it until your LO is a year old and make a commitment to revisit the idea at that time? If you still aren't ready at a year then ask to revisit the idea at 18 months. If he knows you are willing to talk about it then he might be happy.

Plus, 7.5 months is really early for a lot of moms to start wanting another especially if there are special needs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.