Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Finally a dr has listened to my concerns about Connor's cyclical excessive thirst and urination.  He's been doing this on and off for years, I've mentioned it to many drs and nutritionists and no one was concerned.  I've checked his blood sugar on my own home monitor and it's been normal.  I didn't know what to think.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>After a particularly bad night Monday night, I took him to the dr and this time the dr actually listened and did a urinalysis.  Good news is it doesn't appear to be diabetes mellitus (no glucose in his urine, and his blood sugar on our home monitor has been normal) but his specific gravity was low.  The dr explained to me about Diabetes Insipidus and said he wanted to do a water deprivation urinalysis.  We did that overnight last night and I collected morning urine.  His specific gravity was even lower.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not sure yet what the next steps will be, I only talked to the nurse.  I'm assuming perhaps a blood test for ADH, maybe a referral to Endocrinology (ironically, we were just released from Endo, they did a growth hormone deficiency workup on him because of his small size, they diagnosed constitutional growth delay and released us two weeks ago.)  He had a brain MRI as a newborn because of other issues, I wonder if they'll re-do it looking for pituitary issues?  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, has anyone here ever experienced this?  </p>

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<p>Bump.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>A repeat water deprivation urine was still abnormal.  It appears his kidneys aren't concentrating urine.  </p>

·
Registered
195 Posts
<p>They are actually testing Lani for this too! She pees through every diaper and has to wear night time diapers all the time. We change her clothes probably 3 times a day! Tested her for regular diabetes and came back normal so we got sent to the endocrinologist. Her blood test came back normal but we still have to take her urine in to get tested. (not a fun task with a girl--we have to "bag" her and collect it to take it in but she's had a horrible diaper rash and I can't put the "bag" on because pulling it off will irritate her skin more) Everything is such a hassle! Anyways, what are they going to do for Connor now?</p>

·
Registered
170 Posts
<p>Putting on my nurse hat for you.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>DI is a really rare disorder, and the rarest type comes from a kidney problem which is an X-linked disorder.  Do any other men on your side have the disorder?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, it is unusual for it to come in cycles if it is DI... the need for fluid is consistent. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Have they mentioned any other possible diagnoses?</p>

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>Nope, no other mention of any cause.  We've collected three urine samples now, two of them after 12 hours of water deprivation, and his specific gravity is always low.  The last one was 1.010, I'm waiting on the most recent.  I've started paying attention to his urine now, I don't think there's ever much color to it at all.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>His "binge drinking" has pretty much ended now, and the amount of urine output doesn't seem excessive now.  It only comes in cycles.  But now even without him drinking much or peeing much, his pee is very diluted looking.  So what would cause that??  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>It's not diabetes mellitus, I check blood sugars randomly and they've never been high.  </p>

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
<p>Linden has always had low specific gravity (and he pees base, his urine pH is usually 8.5) and no one has ever seemed to think it was terribly interesting at all except one nurse practitioner. That guy came in the room and was like "wow, your kid basically pees water and it's alkaline!" and was all amazed. No one else has really ever even commented on it.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts