Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/condi....ap/index.html

"Like many teenage girls, Lee Ann Thill was obsessed with her appearance. A diabetic, she was already suffering from bulimia -- forcing herself to throw up to lose weight. But it wasn't enough, and she'd recently put on 20 pounds.

Then one day at a camp for diabetic teens, she heard counselors chew out two girls for practicing "diabulimia" -- not taking their insulin so they could lose weight, one of the consequences of uncontrolled diabetes."

They estimate that 1/3 of Type 1 diabetic women in the US may skip their insulin to lose weight.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Research on the health of the family backgrounds of anorexic and bulimic patients reveals that they have strong familial trends to diabetes. I wonder if this is ever factored into the treatment that these patients receive.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Research on the health of the family backgrounds of anorexic and bulimic patients reveals that they have strong familial trends to diabetes. I wonder if this is ever factored into the treatment that these patients receive.
Huh, I hadn't heard this. Do you have a link? We have diabetes in our family. But no bulimics/anorexics that I am aware of.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
No, I do not have a link, but when I had lots of friends who did this in college I started to read about the treatment and causes of the disorder. I was in college 30+ years ago, so I would have to really dig, but the relationship I think is a given since the blood sugar and metabolism is definitely off kilter if a person is starving or vomiting. I have always been interested in diabetes since I cared for my maternal Grandfather who had adult onset diabetes and refused to follow doctor's instructions and suffered the awful consequences. I was also concerned about myself and my younger sisters. Not one of them so far has an eating disorder, AFAIK, nor any of the second generation.

The psychological implications in this culture are often obvious, IMNTBHO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.