Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD (33 mos) has had loose stools most of this week, to the point where yesterday they are completely runny, and it is continuing today, plus last night she vomitted twice in the night. I just read a diahrrea thread, but I didn't want to hijack it.
I don't have bananas, but it's grocery day, so I'll try the brat diet. Also, I have acidophilus capsules can I / should I give those to her? She still nurses, and I can tell from the co,our of her vomit and stools, which are creamy, that she's not keeping it down...
What signs indicate dehydration in a toddler? When is a doc visit a good idea?

·
Registered
362 Posts
A good wat to tell if a child is getting dehydrated is to stick your finger in his mouth and feel the gum and cheek area. The area should feel wet. If it feel dryish there may be some dehydration. Did you try pedialyte? even a teaspoon every five to 10 minutes can help until the child can keep food down. personally, if this has been going on for a week, I would probably check in with the doctor. maybe just call the office and ask to speak with a nurse. They may not be abe to do much, but perhaps they can give you some good tips on how to recognize and treat deydration..

michelle

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I would also call the doctor since it has been going on this long. Children can get dehydrated very quickly with very little notice or signs. Is she lathargic or have a drastic reduction in energy? When DS was about 15 months (quite a bit younger than your DD) he vomited for about 24 hours, then started having diareah. He wouldn't eat, he would only nurse and drink some juice. On day 2 of diareah (about 3 days total of being sick) I took him into the doctor because I noticed a sudden change in temperment. He was sleeping almost all the time, in my arms, on the bed, ect. He would wake up, then go right back to sleep or just lay there on the bed / in my arms. The scaries part was I sat him on the bed, and he just feel over. Not playing or of his own will, he just had that little energy.

So I took him to the doctor and the doctor was very concerned about an ear infection that wasn't clearing up (i didn't give him antibiotics when it was first discovered), and not concerned about him being sick. He gave him a shot of anitbiotics, then told me to give him pedialite. Well from then on he refused all fluids.

I took him in a few hours later because he hadn't urinated and was still refusing fluids. As soon as the second doctor saw him he said "Why wasn't this child sent to the hospital when you came in earlier?!" So we end up having to admit him for an IV, he was there a little less than 12 hours, and once the fluids got into him he was his old self again.

So a few signs that I noticed: Lathargic, loss of energy, low to no urine/bowel movments, refusing solids, refusing liquids, gaunt eyes, loss of elasticity in the skin, yadda yadda yadda. If you look up dehydration on Google you will find a lot of symptoms, however many of the symptoms are for sever dehydration and you don't want your child to get to that point.

Hope I gave you at least a little bit of info you could use.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, her activity level and temperament in normal, but her eyes are kinda strange. I don't know if she maybe got a touch of sunburn today, but the skin under her eyes is red - she looks kinda tired.
I bought some pedialyte, but not sure if I need to give it to her since she's nursing, eating, and drinking. She had diahrrea twice today - it's not completely runny, more like a (excuse the somparison) thick, milkshake consistency.
I called her doc yesterday and didn't get through, and didn't manage to get a chance to try again. But to clarify, her poop hasn't been liquid all week. It started to get softer on tuesday, and wasn't real diahrrea till yesterday morning. We're keeping an eye on it.
thanks all!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
http://www.saferchild.org/dehydrat.htm

Quote:
Signs of Dehydration:

The simplest way to check for dehydration is to check urine color. It should be clear or very pale yellow. If it begins to darken in color, fluid intake should increase.

(Note: If you've increased water intake -- but thirst, headache or other symptoms persist -- check with your doctor. It might simply be that a fluid containing electrolytes is needed to restore a normal balance. It could also be that some other underlying cause requires medical attention.)

Remember: if you try to drink a large amount of water all at once, your kidneys will simply flush the excess fluid by sending you to the bathroom. It's better to drink regular amounts of fluid throughout the day. Each morning, pour the liquid you need to drink and make sure that by the end of the day, it's gone. That way, you won't forget how much you've already had.

~Mild Dehydration: (increase fluid intake -- and for babies, call a medical professional): Thirst, dry lips, dry mouth, flushed skin, fatigue, irritability, headache, urine begins to darken in color, urine output decreases

~Moderate Dehydration: (call a medical professional): All of the signs of mild dehydration, plus: skin doesn't bounce back quickly when pressed, very dry mouth, sunken eyes, (in infant - sunken fontanel, the soft spot on the head), output of urine will be limited and color of urine will be dark yellow, cramps, stiff and/or painful joints, severe irritability, fatigue, severe headache

~Severe Dehydration: (call emergency number): All of the signs of mild and moderate dehydration, plus: blue lips, blotchy skin, confusion, lethargy, cold hands and feet, rapid breathing, rapid and weak pulse, low blood pressure, dizziness, fainting, high fever, inability to pee or cry tears, disinterest in drinking fluid.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
mooliette - that is a great resource! My DS feel into the moderate dehydration levels, didn't realize there were three levels. However, when DS was 15 months it was hard to tell if he had some of the symptoms like headache, or dizzyness, etc. With an older child you can ask them "does your head hurt?" etc.

Pam_and_Abigail - it sounds to me like she just has a bug and isn't dehydrated. Just keep on eye on her fluid intake. Sounds like she is getting plenty of fluids which is exactly what her little body needs.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
when my dd got the stomach flu i kept in close touch with the advice nurse and even spoke to the ped. on call if i got concerned. but i did not have to take my dd in.

btw best of luck with pedialyte. my dd would not touch it - even the pedialyte pops. but if she is nursing and drinking well then i wouldnt worry about it.

my dd had explosive totally runny diahrhea every half hour and then that slowed down after a day and then the vomiting started every half hour. she got somewhat dehydrated and didnt pee for almost 12 hours. but then she just peed and peed and peed.

her bad times lasted 5 days adn then she was back to normal in a couple of days. she ONLY nursed. refused all solid food and that was the first time i saw her suffering.

not only did the constant vomiting and diahrhea make her tired but also made her v. scared. she was actually scared of her explosive bowel movements and ehr throwing up.

she was 2 when seh got the stomach flu.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
i think you have a lot of goo dadvice here
i wanted to add that when ever my dd has any tummy/poop issues (gas, diareah, puke, etc)
we use the homeopathic called NUX VOMICA
in strength 30 c
but 6c is fine too
it cost under 5$$$
for a vile
and the little pellets are so small they just melt on her tongue
there are also combinations of homeopathic remedies that migh tsay: diareah remedy
try that
too
there is not sid eeffects and no chnace of overdose
it won't hurt her if she doesn't need it
but if she does, i have seen my daughter have serious improvemne tin her conditions in minutes

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Return the pedialyte and get your money back (that stuff is expensive!) My ped told me that breastmilk is the best thing for dehydration at any age and to not give ds anything else, especially sugary drinks like juice. He even told me to only give him water if he wanted it after offering nursing only. He also told me not to bother with food until he asked for it. This was before I got pregnant and lost my milk of course. Anybody who recommends giving anyting else to a nursing infant/toddler isn't informed or up to date on their information. http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne....html#vomiting

Ds had a bad case of watery diarrhea and some vomitting a few months back. I think in December, and that's when I took him in. I had bought pedialyte and was trying to get him to drink it and when I told my ped, he looked at me like I was nuts and asked why I was trying to give him that when I was nursing on demand. I just thought that was what I was supposed to do. I think the ped I had when ds1 was a baby told me to give him pedialyte for diarrhea over bm (although if you think about it, it doesn't really make sense.)

For peace of mind, you might want to take her in if you don't think she's keeping anything down. Ds didn't get that bad. It seemed like he was vomitting and pooping it all out, but my ped said he was keeping more down than I realized b/c he wasn't very dehydrated. I think he had it for 2 or 3 days and didn't eat anyhing that whole time. Just nursed and had a few sips of water.

Hope she's feeling better soon! If you think she's really dehydrated, take her to the ER tonight, though. Dehydration is nothing to mess w/ w/ young kids!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, she hasn't had diahrrea since Saturday (or any bm at all), and the vomitting is over. I don;t know if I can return the pedialyte, but it was a small $3 bottle, and it's good till Jan 07. She's still eating and drinking lots. Now we're watching dd2, but it's hard to tell the difference between spitup and vomit at her age.

Thanks so much everyone for all your wonderful advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts