Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little guys is 3 and 1/2 months old (2nd baby to cloth diaper) and we use strictly fuzzi bunz with joey bunz hemp inserts. This moring I pulled off the diaper and he has a rash that looks like a burn all over the front of his diaper area. The only place in is not is on his butt and inside the folds of his fat. It looks red like a sun burn and is dry and slightly raised. There are even burned circles from the snaps on his tummy where the snaps touch when he pulls his legs up. I guess it has been sort of red for a while but I just thought his smalls were getting too small. I have NEVER seen a rash like this on my toddler and Ithought I'd seen it all. Anyone else ever experince this before and what can I do about it??? And just to pre-umpt, no I have not changed my wash routine and I wash with Allen's cold prewash, hot wash, cold rinse, line dry pockets and dryer dry inserts. My water is hardish. It's not real bad either way but let's just say it's not soft and we don't have build up problems with our water. Do I need to change my wash routine?<br><br>
How should I treat his skin? It doesn't seem painful to him but it hurts me to look at it. He's naked right now.<br><br>
I must also add that I have had problems with my 2 and 1/2 year olds diaper area lately as well. The tip of his penis is red and a little swollen and he keeps telling me it's itchy. The Ped(whom I trust) said it's most likely the amonia from the night time diapers causing the irritation and to use baby powder (which isn't helping.) My 2 year old also uses fuzzi funz with hemp inserts. Could it be the hemp, amonia, what?<br><br>
HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Yes, definitely sounds like amonia... and the hemp inserts are SO thick and absorbant that if you don't get them immaculately clean they can build up horribly and cause burns like you described (but to be honest, all diapers can build up like that - my Motherease did too (along with my JBunz).<br><br>
What I do is...<br>
Add about 1/4 cup of baking soda (or Calgon water softener if I don't have baking soda), 1/2 cup of vinegar in the wash (with a limited amount of 7th Gen. baby detergent) with JUST the diapers I am going to strip. Wash them on hot and double rinse.<br><br>
Then... if it's bad I do it again (but with even less detergent or none at all)... and then do one more wash with nothing at all.<br><br>
If you pull out the Joey Bunz and you sniff deeply - if they smell as clean as you've ever smelled them... you're golden. If you can smell just a hint of pee, do another wash. Honestly, I'm kind of anal about this now that I've burned my kiddos a few times with the diapers - I found the culprit to be that I was washing them with too much detergent and too many diapers - and then not stripping the Joey Bunz on a regular basis so they were getting too built up.<br><br>
I have a front load washer and it takes about 2 tablespoons of detergent for a full load (depending) of diapers. I was using way more than that.<br><br>
Good luck Mama! (I believe the Fuzi Bunz website has general instructions on stripping too - you may want to do your JBunz AND your FBunz).<br>
~Julie

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I'm glad to hear that this is somewhat normal and that there are things you can do about it!!! It sounds lke my dipes are just not getting clean enough, so i will strip them as you suggested, but i was wondering if there is anything I can do to my routine on a regualr basis to keep this from coming back quickly? I use half a scoop of Allen's which is probably about 2 table spoons, maybe less, so i really use hardly any detergent. I don't think it's detergent build up, just not getting dipes clean enough.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You might need to wash occasionally with more detergent, then do extra rinses. Turning your hot water heater up all the way before you start washing will help too. And be sure the JBs dry thoroughly, the hot dryer will help kill any germies lurking inside.<br><br>
When my son has a rash like that, I find that a soak in the tub with some baking soda to neutralize the ammonia does wonders for his skin.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would strip the diapers and inserts too - just keep washing without any detergent or additives until you no longer see suds.<br><br>
As for the irritation on your sons penis - stop using baby powder! It isn't going to help at all, in fact it could be keeping the irritation from healing. Instead, try a barrier cream like Weleda Baby Cream or Burt's Bees Baby Bee Skin Creme (my personal favorite) for both your kiddos at every diaper change. The cream acts as a moisture sheild keeping their soft sensitive skin from becoming irritated.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ammonia forms from "old" urine. Generally that means you're not using enough detergent and the urine is redepositing on the diapers, or you have buildup (detergent, mineral, etc) and the urine is getting trapped in the buildup.<br><br>
Ammonia is disapates in water (like chlorine does, which is why you need to add chlorine daily to a pool). Vinegar breaks down mineral and detergent buildup.<br><br>
I'm a fan of keeping it simple... Soak your clean diapers overnight (or longer) in plain water w/white vinegar. If you have a top loader, you might want to fill the washer w/hot water and vinegar and keep the lid up. That way it will aggitate but won't drain. In the morning, set the cycle back to the beginning so it aggitates again and then completes the cycle to rinse the vinegar water and ickies away (no need to add detergent since they were clean to begin with). Use them and if they still smell like ammonia, repeat the vinegar soak.<br><br>
I use a wetpail w/a splash of white vinegar added. It's heavy to dump into the washer, but there's no smell from the diaper pail and my diapers are fresh and clean.

·
Registered
79 Posts
AinNJ,<br><br>
How big of a pail do you use for a wet pail? A friend sent me a link to this post, since I mentioned I'm on the verge of giving up CD. This could work for me, but I'm trying to figure out the logistics for a diapering area upstairs (in her bedroom) and a washer on the main level.<br><br>
Also, how/where do you keep your pail out of child reach?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts